Webextension - How do I make the browserAction popup work on Firefox Android

• Is there any way that I can make it work?
  • Also what should I do if my extension needs to ask for additional permissions later on. It does not see to work on Android.
  • Is it possible to upload 2 version of the addon. One for mobile and more for desktop version of Firefox.

P.S. I tried on Firefox for Android 55.0.2

Is there any way that I can make it work?

More or less. This is what I do:

// browser_action (can not be set in manifest due to fennec incompatibility)
!fennec && browserAction.setIcon({ path: manifest.icons[1], });
!fennec && browserAction.setPopup({ popup: '/view.html#panel', });
fennec && browserAction.onClicked.addListener(async () => 
    tabs.create({ url: `/view.html?forTab=${
        (await tabs.query({ windowId, active: true, }))[0].id
    }#panel`, })
);

Is it possible to upload 2 version of the addon. One for mobile and more for desktop version of Firefox.

I think it is, but with the above approach, you don’t need to.

Also what should I do if my extension needs to ask for additional permissions later on. It does not see to work on Android.

It should. Please elaborate.

1 Like

Thanks for helping out.

Regarding the additional permissions, my extension cant seem to ask for additional permission in Android. In desktop this works without any issue. Here is a link to the addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9anime-companion

https://github.com/lap00zza/9anime-Companion/blob/master/src/ts/dashboard.ts#L197-L230

Hm. I can’t see any obvious problems. Which API exactly are you using (browser/chrome, background page / visible extension page)? That shouldn’t but sometimes does make a difference if UI prompts are involved.

I am using chrome and background_page. Also would it be okay if I talk to you via irc/pm.

There isn’t really much more I can tell you. I think it would be worth a shot to use the chrome or browser object of an open visible page.