Add-on not available for FF mobile

Hi there,

I’m the author of the Spelling Bee Assistant.

From a purely technical standpoint my add-on would work in FF mobile. When I published the last version I made sure to check the boxes for both desktop and mobile. When I try to install it on my Android phone, however, it only offers me to download the file instead.

From what I found in the docs, it appears that I need to set up the manifest accordingly, here is the relevant code:

"browser_specific_settings": {
    "gecko": {
         "id": "{4474f7b5-4da5-4332-8847-074f35456496}",
         "strict_min_version": "89.0"
    }
}

To be honest, I’m not 100% sure if this is the correct way to do it. Can somebody please explain this to me?

I also understand there is some sort of manual selection process in place, is that information correct and if so is there anything I could do get my add-on approved?

Thank you!

Dieter

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2021/01/20/extensions-in-firefox-for-android-update/ documents the latest on extensions in Firefox for Android.

Hi Martin, thank you for the quick reply! I’m aware of this article but I don’t really understand how it addresses my problem. The way I understand it, installation should work as of January 25th, 2021.

What am I missing, can you please explain?

No, that only concerns extensions that are already explicitly allowed to be installed. As to how to allow an extension to be installed:

you can use an override setting to install other extensions listed on AMO on Firefox for Android Nightly.

Alright, so I would then be able to at least install in my own browser.

Thanks for your help!