Add-on Review Questions

Glad to hear it was unblocked!

Yes, thanks. Can I know where is the “queue” for the backlog of addons to be approved? is that visible somewhere?

Sorry, the queue is only viewable to admins and reviewers.

Sorry for the confusion, I learned that the queue position is only visible for listed extensions.

Hi Martin, there have some problem with me . I have an internal add-on also ,and waiting for approve. It won’t be used in publicly distributed.

Could you share me your experience ? .

No worries, I appreciate your help though!

Ok thanks, I’m still awaiting approval though - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/addon/evo-ai/versions

Hi, the same situation with extremely long publish is happening with our extension ( Urban Free VPN proxy Unblocker - Best VPN: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/urban-vpn/?utm_source=addons.mozilla.org&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=search) which is waiting for the review for 11 days.

We started from position 28 and in 11 days we are 17. With this pace it will take ~1 month to publish comparing to almost instant publish previously. Please provide some guidelines how to move faster in this queue and speed up publish. I’d also appreciate resolution ETA from your side.

Any further steps that we must implement on our side in order to avoid such long publish in the future would be also helpful.

@caitlin could you please provide some details regarding this topic?

Hi @Grigoriy, we are currently experiencing a higher than usual volume of submissions. Our team is working as quickly as possible to look at add-ons that have been selected for manual review. It may take 3 - 4 weeks for your submission to be reviewed. We expect the wait time for manual reviews to return to normal near the end of July. In the meantime, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the reply @caitlin!

1 Like

My addon is also awaiting for review for more than 2 weeks (if taking into account that it’s a small revision to a previous reject, it’s more than 1 month!)

Addons seem to pass review if it has passed auto-scanning before. Though there may be human review followed by and suspicious addons may be disabled afterwards. Is there any policy change recently so that more recent addon submissions require human review before published?

Hi @danny08381, there hasn’t been a policy update but we do frequently update our mechanism for detecting potentially malicious extensions, and that can lead to more submissions being flagged for investigation. When that happens, we try to make adjustments to improve our accuracy, but that can take some time to put in action.

Hello

we submit an addons from 30-6 and no reply till now, Status “Disabled by Mozilla” and hold in “Awaiting Review”

Can you help us to know if there something wrong!!

Hi @hotelresbot, there is currently a backlog of submissions in the manual review queue. Our team is working as quickly as possible to look at add-ons in this queue. It may take 3 - 4 weeks for your submission to be reviewed.

Please do not resubmit your version as it will be added to the manual review queue and cause additional delays.

We expect the wait time for manual reviews to return to normal near the end of July. In the meantime, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

I would like to ask why add-ons are not approved immediately as they have been so far in case of unlisted versions (only for testers).
I have a configuration for Circle CI based on: https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/develop/getting-started-with-web-ext/#signing-test-version-listed

My reviewer answered me that I have to send source for my extension but it was required only whenever I wanted to submit production version.

I would be grateful for help.

1 Like

Hi @Mateusz_Przybylo, it would be helpful to know the name, GUID, or URL of your add-on. There are some circumstances where we need to review the source code (see https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/publish/source-code-submission/).

Hey Folks,

It’s pretty clear right now that there’s been some changes when it comes to which add-ons are manually reviewed, and how long people should expect to wait then it comes to those manual reviews. There’s numerous posts already with people talking about how long reviews are taking. In another thread it was mentioned things should get better at the end of july.

Reviewing our own place in the review process over time, it’s clear that the queue isn’t a simple first-in-first-out. The number of people behind us in the queue has been as high as 17 and as low as one, often jumping up and down. So people behind us in the queue are being taken out of it, and presumably approved.

Firefox used to be where we released first. The reliable quick process helped us get changes to market quickly, and we’d follow up with other browsers later. This is going to need to change for us.

Some questions, that I think if answered would help the development community:

1. What changed recently requiring more manual reviews?
  2. What can developers do to avoid the manual review requirement? (knowing this may help reduce the manual review load).
  3. Are there multiple manual-review queues? How do you get into the faster manual review queue?
  4. Timeliness of reviews seems to be a perpetual item of concern (the sidebar populated with lots of posts going back years), does mozilla consider extensions to be an asset worth prioritizing?

thanks!

@caitlin My addon was submitted on June 6, 2021, and was rejected on June 8, 2021 with a single silly reason, that iframe[sandbox~="allow-scripts"][sandbox~="allow-same-origin"] is forbidden. I replied to the reviewer and he did not give me a good justification, and then I raised a discussion and there has still been no justification for it: What's the point of forbidding a sandboxed iframe with allow-scripts and allow-same-origin?)

Although I totally disagree with that rejection, I still re-submitted a quick workaround that fixed the issue on June 8, 2021, and the re-submission is halted for review till now. I asked the reviewer about the current review process and there has been no reply.

If the sandboxed iframe issue is the reason for rejection, you should be able to diff the latest submission with the previous submission and be easily sure that it has been fixed. If there is another issue seen than I should received a further notification about it. What’s the problem causing the everlasting halt and nonresponsiveness of such re-review of a re-submission?