Bitly plugin disappeared

Since years I use the bitly (bit.ly) plugin (addon) with the small red b named “Bitly | Powerful Short Links”. It allows to customize bitly links, when with an account at bitly. Works fine. After installing a new PC this plugin was replaced by a plugin (symbol: a used letter envelope) giving an unchangeable very long “shortlink”. Dumb. How can I get the good old bitly-addon?

Hmm, I wonder why the official Bit.ly extension is no longer on the Add-ons site?

The last capture by the Wayback Machine was on Nov. 24, 2020 (version 3.0.7).

Maybe contact them and see what happened?

Thank you, jscher, good idea. But unfortunately: “Hrm. The Wayback
Machine has not archived that URL.”, nor in earlier snapshots. Fritz

My link didn’t work? Or the links in that page didn’t work (that’s common). I meant to contact Bit.ly directly, for example, through their website.

Internet Archive had not pulled the content of the link, in none of the copies. Tough luck. I then compared my old Firefox with the plugin I want – with the Firefox on my “new” PC: The old one was under Program Files (x86), the new one under Programs (both are 64 bit versions). The old, good one had a subfolder “plugins”, the new one was at Programs straigt, not x86, and had no plugins folder, but de facto a numer of plugis. I then copied the old good plugins foler (with some 11 cryptic files, mostly dlls, one .DEU, one .FRA, one .xpt, QuickTimePlugin.dass) to the new computer’s Firefox program folder, to no avail. (Gone are the happy times of Dos). Saluti!

Fritz Jörn mobil +49 171 3322017

• Friedrichstr. 29, D-53111 Bonn, +49 228 211035

• Siebenfahr, Sarntal, Südtirol +39 0471 623168

Fritz@Joern.De www.Joern.De

It’s not a plugin. Extensions are stored under

[profile.folder]\extensions

1 Like

Very strange indeed, same thing happened to me in a Linux install. I managed to recover a backup I had in a hard drive of the xpi file

Fritz, I can give it to you but I guess it wont work as I am running on Linux!

Thank you, that’s nice, Sebastian. But 1. do I have my old laptop with the plugin installed since ages and 2. have I found a way on my “new” PC to create a bit-ly address nearly as easily. So it’s not really important. Best wishes with your Linux! Fritz

Fritz Jörn mobil +49 171 3322017
D-53111 Bonn, Friedrichstr.29 +49 228 211035
Siebenfahr, Sarntal, Südtirol +39 0471 623168
Fritz@Joern.De www.Joern.De

1 Like

Excellent Fritz, good you were able to do it. My plugin worked well by just copying the xpi file, but I wonder why it is not there. Bitly still have the link to it in their system.

Now, may I know what is the new way you found to create links? Can you still customize the link as you can do with the extension? Thanks and all the best for you too!