Could Gateway, subdomain and tunneling used for free (even commercial)?

Hi
I have a friend owner of a small company that would like to be aware of some events (if any) occurred inside his commercial company using special hardware sensors. I think I am able to write an addon and device in order to “control” those hardware sensors. I am thinking to rely on mozilla-iot gateway, mozilla subdomain and tunneling and of course any written or changed source code will be distributted with the gateway (node source code ).

Question: may I (licence) develop a new addon, based on an existing one, and install a gateway in a RPI and create a subdomain using mozilla domain and put everything to work inside my friend commercial company?

Do I need to pay any fee? Can mozilla sub domain be used for free even in commercial environments or there are some things that must be the owner to support (like domain and tunneling, etc)?

Thanks!
Imov

Hi Imov, welcome.

There is nothing in the Mozilla Public License under which the gateway is licensed which prevents commercial use of the software and you are free to download and install our gateway image for whatever use you like.

We welcome patches for any improvements to the gateway on GitHub. Re-distribution of Mozilla software is covered by Mozilla’s Software Distribution Policy.

We welcome you to write add-ons for the gateway, though if you wish your add-on to be installable through the gateway’s web interface your add-on will need to be made public in order to be included in our add-ons directory. Alternatively it is possible to manually install an add-on or configure the gateway to use your own add-ons list. You must also comply with the terms of the license for any existing add-on you modify.

We do not currently charge for our remote tunnelling service, but can not provide any guarantees regarding uptime.

I hope this helps, and we look forward to hear more about how you’re using WebThings Gateway! Let us know if you need any help.

Ben