Docker selenium and Firefox Developer Edition

On the desktop, we can test our extension by loading its unpacked files into Firefox Developer Edition and automating it with Selenium (driven by wdio).

Our continuous integration needs to do the same thing but in Docker.

Selenium provide a handy Docker image with standard Firefox but they are not interested in providing one with Developer Edition.

To use standard Firefox, we would need a signed extension (the standard build no longer lets you disable the requirement for signing). We used to sign test builds of the extension but now there is a danger that Mozilla will decide to review it, which is a waste of their time for test builds (and for which they require us to supply source code somehow).

Is anyone else testing an extension with Selenium in Docker?

Shouldn’t you be able to use the temporary install pathway that for example web-ext uses? Since that would also work on release Firefox.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t know how web-ext does it but I suppose I could just use Selenium to automate the about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox > “Load Temporary Add-on” method.

I’m still hoping that someone somewhere can provide an up-to-date Docker image with Dev Edition.

I think selenium is supposed to support installations via about:debugging, but I may be misremembering.

i’m learning docker, i think its a good idea.