[Ext] BrowseInTab

The BrowseInTab extension allows you to open and browse any link in a Thunderbird content tab. Links are followed within the tab and back/forward navigation is supported.

See the homepage for more details and downloads. Comments welcome.

1 Like

BrowseInTab 2.3 has been released.

New features include:

• Open a new tab (content tab)
  • Editable urlBar in a content tab
  • Zoom applies to chrome as well as messages and web content

fyi it was mentioned here: Import cookies from FF?

BrowseInTab 2.5 has been released.

New features include custom Zoom functionality:

• Use Ctrl+/- or Ctrl-mousewheel up/down or left mouse button down-mousewheel up/down to Zoom any message or page
  • Configure a Zoom increment
  • Separate chrome (folder list, message list, toolbars, tabs) Zoom level
  • Zoom setting for content applies per tab or can be global
  • Image only Zoom.

I tried to use it for zoom only, but I need to zoom content only (not all elements like menu and all panels) and text only.

I found an issue, when using zoom option, open Write/Reply window, this window is resized.

For the default chrome zoom level, reset it to 100. At that level, there is no change to any new window.

Perhaps you need to post a screenshot, as otherwise it’s not clear what the issue is.

Another issue, when I disable or remove this addon, address bar is not removed, I had to restore program from backup.

Not reproducible, nor is there any info to diagnose.

Removing/disabling any extension removes all traces upon Tb restart, so your statement isn’t at all true.

OK, that address bar is only on one tab, it’s not a bug, I checked the other tab.

Anyway, regarding zoom, try these steps to reproduce:

• use small window for Thunderbird, not maximized-
  • in BrowseInTab set global zoom to 150%, I had to disable/enable addon, don’t know why
  • everything is large, tab text, toolbar button text, menu text… (when using Ctrl+Num+/-, only mail content, message text is changed)
  • now change it back to 100%, disable/enable addon, if needed
  • test is changed correctly
  • restart Thunderbird
  • Thunderbird main window is much smaller

It’s the same with the Write window, change zoom to 150%, window is larger, close Write window, change it to 100% or 50%, reopen Write window and it’s smaller.

I think the window size and position should not be changed, just text size.

Anyway, it’s still unusable for me, because all TB elements are resized and I need to resize just email content, not menu, buttons, tabs text…

It’s the same with the Write window, change zoom to 150%, window is larger, close Write window, change it to 100% or 50%, reopen Write window and it’s smaller.

Ok, thanks for the details, this does happen. Tb changes the window size attributes for some reason and persists them, but does not change them back when reset.

I need to resize just email content, not menu, buttons, tabs text…

Then you don’t need to change chrome zoom level, the pref states what elements chrome zoom applies to.

All other Zoom prefs apply to content (messages and content tab websites). If custom zoom is enabled, you can save the per tab content level (or have it apply to all tabs globally). That zoom level is shown in the urlbar, if enabled in the Tabs and Toolbars prefs.

You can zoom (ctrl+/-) without BiT but it won’t be saved, nor can you set the increment, nor mousewheel only zoom, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I already found a solution for my problem, had to change the font size for these items and it works now:

The fonts and font sizes for the message pane and Write window are usually set in Options, Language & Appearance, Advanced, with Fonts for: Latin and Other Writing Systems.

I’m eager to try but it downloads as (the latest, I guess) browseintab-2.7-tb.xpi and my Mac apparently can’t deal with a file in .xpi. Solution welcome!

tnx,

nathaniel

Not sure what “can’t deal” means. See this:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/installing-addon-thunderbird
It’s also on ATN, here:

Hi,
Would it be possible to add a filter or whitelist to enable the opening of links either externally or in TB? For instance if I only ever wanted links to https://example.com* to open in TB but everything else to open externally I could add https://example.com* to the list and this would always open in TB when clicking on it in a mail.

This would require a somewhat complex UI and I don’t think it would be a widely used feature. It’s easy enough to link contextmenu open in browser or tab.

Hi, is there a fix coming? This extension no longer works in TB 91. Thanks!

Yes, support for Tb91 will be released in a week or so. Some things (zoom in content tab web pages) won’t be available yet due to significant changes (multiprocess e10s) in Tb91.

Thanks for the helpful Add-on.
By mistake I typed one more digit in the zoom, making it 1200% instead of 120%. The scale is so large now, that I can’t change it back, also in trouble shooting mode. I’d be grateful for a way to solve the problem.

Close Tb, find the prefs.js file in the profile directory, edit it, find the devPixelsPerPx line, delete or reset it to -1, save prefs.js and restart Tb.

Backup prefs.js first.

Many thanks. That worked! I had also to change
“font.size.systemFontScale” in the file to 100.