Firefox Should Assume The Role Of Providing Add-ons

I think that it’s way past time for Firefox to take over the role of providing all add-ons instead of having third parties do so.
And having your users go through the rigmarole of wasting a lot of time hunting for safe, workable add-ons.

The only valid reason for add-ons to exist is that they are provided by third parties.

Things provided by Firefox/Mozilla are parts of Firefox/Mozilla, not add-ons.

Many important add-ons have functions that the Firefox development team is not interested in, or does not exactly want to promote. And many of the add-ons are time-consuming to produce and maintain, meaning that if the development team had to do them, they would be neglecting something else.

Basically, (but only by accident), you are asking for all add-ons to be cancelled - and I think that’s a bad idea.

Complete safety is not difficult; complete safety is absolutely impossible. It is possible to gain imaginary safety by cancelling everything that looks risky, but that only adds a new risk: What if we cancel all our capabilities and do nothing instead?

2 Likes

I think that it’s way past time for Firefox to take over the role of providing all add-ons instead of having third parties do so.

There are no resources for that. How much are you willing to pay for all the reviewing?

And having your users go through the rigmarole of wasting a lot of time hunting for safe, workable add-ons.

You are not alone in your search. There is an active Firefox user community. For example, r/Firefox on Reddit covers every imaginable topic, and volunteers on Firefox Support can address specific functional problems.

Mozilla staff are treating the situation as if the OP is right, though. Firefox is now being treated as if Mozilla is the only source of extensions, AND furthermore that single source is unable to provide any extensions, due to lack of resources. So the true source of extensions has become effectively nobody, with enforcement measures in place to keep it that way.

(Never mind the fact that there are many MANY good useful Firefox extensions already programmed and ready to use, that are being intentionally shut out of the process.)

Oh, I was thinking of Desktop, not Android.

Hi @winstonysyap, we’ve curated a set of Recommended extensions that are safe and workable – hopefully you’ll be able to quickly and easily find some that work for you. :slight_smile: