I want to access Mozilla Developers site with Ukrainian language by default.

Good afternoon. I’m Ukrainian, I live in Ukraine, I speak Ukrainian. I don’t want to see any search results in ruzzian language. I want to access Mozilla Developers site with Ukrainian language by default.

4 Likes

Hello @meteor_the_ukrainian

check this post and the replay

sorry for not being able to offer better help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Hi there @meteor_the_ukrainian and welcome to the community. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you follow a link containing a locale, we currently honor that and do not redirect. However, we have received requests to allow readers to set their preferred language. We are working on this feature, but, unfortunately, it will take some time before being available, so, in the meantime, please try one of the following workarounds.

• Consider using the MDN Language redirector extension - Firefox | Chromium
  • If present, consider removing the Russian language entry from your browser’s preferred language list.
  • Consider using alternative search engines. For example, DuckDuckGo links to MDN pages in English rather than Russian when your region is set to Ukraine.

Please also join the discussion on this topic and vote for the feature.

Schalk
Staff Community Manager - MDN Web Docs

2 Likes

Hello @schalkneethling

the problem there no Ukrainian language option in the mdn now it been removed
as mentioned in the link i posted earlier

so i guess it should bring it back first

and have a nice day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @justsomeone,

We do have some guidelines around binging back locales that are no longer active on MDN Web Docs. You can read more about this in this document: https://github.com/mdn/translated-content/blob/main/PEERS_GUIDELINES.md#activating-a-locale

2 Likes

Hello @schalkneethling

thanks for the info but according to this

Please specify which of the following two locales you wish to have unfrozen:

German (de)
    Polish (pl)

NB These are the only frozen locales we will consider - see The future of MDN localization in this Hacks post

so is there a way to request unforzen for the Ukrainian so @meteor_the_ukrainian can do or the people in the other post

thanks for your time and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, the process generally is as follows:

1. Identify a team that is committed to keeping the content of the locale up to date with the English content in mdn/content
  2. Propose activation of the locale to the MDN team noting the people who will be maintaining it.
  3. It will then be taken under consideration and the team will come back with an answer.

Right now though, the content for languages such as Ukranian, German, etc. are so out of date and still in HTML format that, folks would have to start translating from scratch using the content from mdn/content. While there is nothing preventing anyone from doing this, it will be a mammoth task.

If there are enough people that want to do this, please do go ahead and make a proposal via https://github.com/mdn/mdn-community/discussions/categories/localisation - Thank you

Schalk
Staff Community Manager - MDN Web Docs

6 Likes

thanks for you @schalkneethling i will share this replay in the other post

thanks again and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like