[IMPORTANT] Council Elections - H1 2021- Nominees' Q&A

Hey all,

This is the second step into the Election Process . In this thread, the nominees should post their answers to the following questions . Nominees can additionally attach a very short video of themselves if they want to do so (please keep it under 2 minutes). Candidates have time until April 7th, 23:59 UTC . Note that this is mandatory.

• Considering Mozilla’s recent operational changes (layoffs) and their potential implications on the way Mozilla approaches its communities, what are the top activities Reps should start doing to help Mozilla?
  • How can Reps motivate contributors to get them involved in Mozilla, both in campaigns and also long term?
  • Identify something that is currently not working well in the Mozilla Reps program and which you think could be easy to fix. How would you approach a possible fix?
  • What are the specific qualities and skills that you have that you think will help you be an effective Council member?
  • Which of your contributions since march 2020 had the biggest impact on the Reps program on a programmatic level?
  • Which past achievement as a Rep would you tell your best non-Mozilla friend about?

The list of nominees is:

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your answers!

PS: to all others, please engage and add more questions!

3 Likes

keep on doing what Reps do best, helping communities. The mission is not changed, help promote the open web etc, help people find the way to contribute (sumo, L10n, etc) .
More important Question is how Mozilla empower the Reps. Keeps reps informed about focus changes, give heads up about new campaigns etc, make sure reps know how to find information. streamline this a big task for the council.

Help people to find the way inside the different projects in Mozilla. Highlight the mission and that everybody (not only code but also support) can help with that. Reps need to know how to find answers communities have and if the rep doesn’t know the answer the reps need to know the channels (like Matrix) where to relay that question.

Communication. identify the right channels to get updates from Mozilla at the Reps, make sure inside Mozilla the know how to communicate with the reps. This is something the current council is working on and that need to be continued

I know my way, know the history, can lead and do what i promise to do!

My work for the council and the onboardingteam :slight_smile:

That i support the helpers to support the mozilla mission

1 Like

Thank you for taking out your time to read my views. Feel free to reply to this thread if have any questions for me.

Cheers,
– Mehul P.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I am trying to elaborate my thoughts over the questions mentioned in the thread below:

Since the mission and goal behind Mozilla haven’t changed, Reps should concentrate on the current focus that Mozilla is planning or working on. For now, the changes in focus and momentum should be discussed around communities as well plans should roll out about how they can contribute in a better way to support Mozilla in this current state.

One of the things that contributors face during onboarding is guiding. If Reps can engage themself and reach out to them more often to support them as well as helping them with their first contribution and support during campaigns, they will always feel engaged and in long term, they will be interested to be a part of the program more.

Communication and Engagement. Changes of communication channel as well changes in the program in or around Reps and Mozilla has affected this a lot. Investing more time with connecting with reps and providing more opportunity to stay engage can fix this issue in a sooner way.

I believe in my leadership skill. I have recruited a good number of contributors for my local community and I believe i can transform this quality to help the council to reach the goal that the council aims for.

Because of the panademic, most of our contributors were home. As a reps, I mostly invested my time on mentoring and guiding them.

I helped organize many testing events for firefox that led to successful launches for Desktop QA Team. I am part of something that you or millions of people use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi fellow reps, here’s my answers :slight_smile:

• Considering Mozilla’s recent operational changes (layoffs) and their potential implications on the way Mozilla approaches its communities, what are the top activities Reps should start doing to help Mozilla?

“Dark and difficult times lie ahead.” the web is changing, open-source is changing rapidly, and most importantly, communities are changing.

We need to rethink the position of reps and how it helps in the promotion of Mozilla values while Mozilla is transitioning.

We must shake the tree.

• How can Reps motivate contributors to get them involved in Mozilla, both in campaigns and also long term?

There are different types of contributors. We have the ones that are here because we believe in the mission, and also, you can find contributors that help because it serves them to achieve a better job, there’s nothing bad about it.

It will be significant that all contributors believe, but we must acknowledge that not everybody is the same.

• Identify something that is currently not working well in the Mozilla Reps program and which you think could be easy to fix. How would you approach a possible fix?

Communications for reps and the general public. We can create the Twicth channel with different reps hosts/ languages. It can serve as a point of contact between communities and possible contributors.

• What are the specific qualities and skills that you have that you think will help you be an effective Council member?

“This is the way” :rocket::cowboy_hat_face:. My most significant strength is empathy trying to understand the different points of view and try to get an agreement.

• Which of your contributions since march 2020 had the biggest impact on the Reps program on a programmatic level?

I will say the start of the conversation around diversity in the council.

• Which past achievement as a Rep would you tell your best non-Mozilla friend about?

As rep, the Mexican community gatherings :heart::heart:

2 Likes