Issues with the site - Oct 14th

Hello,

Common Voice site is currently experiencing some issues, we are investigating. We’ll update this topic as soon as we have more information to share.

Thanks for your understanding.

1 Like

Looks like everything’s back again now.

Hi,

there is always a problem to authenticate yourself
i.e., I go through the SSO connection and after entering my credentials and the 2FA, I fall back on the home page but not connected

thanks

One thing I’m noticing is that I keep getting clips I’ve already validated. I guess it’s not saving the validations?

The site seems to still be acting weird. We are working with IT to fully solve this issue.

Sorry again.

The number of contributions is very high right now, could this simply be a performance problem?

Where are you checking the number of contributions and which numbers are you getting?

Right now I can’t see anything, but yesterday and today often almost1 000 persons where online at once, I checked a few languages and I had the impression that spanish gained a lot of new contributors.

EDIT: I used the graph on the frontage, but the numbers of verified contributions on the language page are sometimes a lot higher.

You are right, I see a huge increase yesterday. It seems that was the reason the server was struggling

IT is already working on it to accommodate all the traffic.

1 Like

Oh great! This is exactly the kind of problem I want this project to have :slight_smile:

For context, we launched snippets on Firefox in English, German, French and Spanish, and that’s most probably the reason of this huge increase.

1 Like

Hi,

If this continues, we should add new sentences because it has been a long time since this was done

In Sentence Collector, there are many sentences that have been validated

Christophe

For context, we launched snippets on Firefox in English, German, French and Spanish, and that’s most probably the reason of this huge increase.

That’s great. I hope that this campaign will be expanded to more languages once the servers are ready to serve enough people. Some big languages like russian, arabic or chinese could really need more publicity (and some smaller ones too). Is there a way for the community to add translations of the snippets?

If this continues, we should add new sentences because it has been a long time since this was done
In Sentence Collector, there are many sentences that have been validated

Absolutely, if this project gains speed we have to focus on regular imports and encourage people to add more sentences.

We specifically targeted only the languages where we have wikipedia sentences imported, so we have a huge margin right now with unrecorded sentences.

We should have space for almost the 2000 hours in these languages, it’s not a worry right now.

2 Likes

We decided to avoid targeting languages who don’t have millions of sentences ready, also to have the bandwidth to measure all the metrics. Translations for this type of content is handled through a vendor (following mozilla l10n guidelines).

1 Like

I’m noticing a much higher percentage of UK/US native speakers than normal. Which makes sense - most people will probably set their OS language to their native language.

I would certainly never complain about more contributions to the site, but it’s worth noting that there will probably be a native speaker bias in targeting OS language.

We targeted browser preferred locale (en-US), not location.

And while US and UK probably hold most of en-US users, most people in other English-speaking countries like India are also using this version.

BTW, the site should be acting normal again, IT has been scaling the infrastructure. Please report any issues here.

Thanks and sorry again for the down time.

Cheers.

1 Like