List Snoozed tabs in the Awesome Bar

When typing in the Awesome Bar, also known as the Address Bar, URL Bar or Location Bar, it would be preferable to have snoozed tabs suggested as I type. This feature would ideally be controlled by the Options>Privacy>Location Bar setting.
A suitable Snooze icon should identify the suggestion as a snoozed tab.

Edit:
After using Snooze Tabs extensively over the past couple of days and investigating further, I believe I understand a little more about the add-on and how it is working.

It is creating a bookmark in Other Bookmarks>Snoozed Tabs for the snoozed tab. I do not like this procedure. This does mean, however, it is already listed in the Awesome Bar. I did not notice this initially because I was using tabs I had already bookmarked.

Problems

• I believe the Snoozed Tab add-on crashed Firefox.
  • It is leaving obsolete Other Bookmarks>Snoozed Tabs folders in my bookmarks. There is no clean up on crash/start up!!
  • A Snoozed Tab Icon appears in the Awesome Bar list on some tabs but not all. This coincides with the list in the bookmarks folder and subsequently the list in the Snooze Tabs add-on. When the tab is ‘woken’ by the snooze add-on mechanism, the favicon for the tab is determined by the icon in the bookmarks list
  • If I select a tab from the Snoozed Tab list, it leaves the snoozed tab in the list. Why? If I have chosen it, it means I have ‘woken’ it early of my own volition, no more need for the snooze

Recommendations

• If you are going to persist using Bookmarks as the mechanism for Snooze Tabs:
  • Ensure the icon in the list is ALWAYS the snooze icon to differentiate the entry from my [real] bookmarks.
  • Initiate a “clean-up” on startup and remove obsolete entries/folders
  • Remove entries if selected earlier than the snooze datetime

This add-on is a wonderful tool.
I use it as both a task scheduler and reminder.
I look forward to using it extensively in the future.

Cheers

1 Like

I’ve read all your recommendations and agree with what you’ve said. I didn’t realise snooze tab was adding bookmarks to my folder until I went through my bookmarks and thought I haven’t bookmarked those then realised why. Like you say the bookmarks folder is going to get very full and confusing if every tab I ever snooze ends up as a bookmarked site.

To clarify, the bookmarks are [supposed to be] removed when the tab is ‘woken’. The creation of obsolete entries generated by Snooze tab (for whatever reason) is a concern and some improvement on handling these entries is an area that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for using Snooze Tabs and giving all this feedback!

If you are going to persist using Bookmarks as the mechanism for Snooze Tabs…

We’re not actually using bookmarks as the mechanism for Snooze Tabs. The “Snoozed Tabs” folder is just a backup location for currently snoozed tabs, so that they have a place to live when someday the experiment graduates and leaves Test Pilot. The real location for snoozed tabs is in WebExtension storage.

That said, if the bookmarks don’t disappear from the folder when a tab wakes up, that’s unexpected. The code currently deletes the folder and re-creates it every time the set of snoozed tabs changes (i.e. a new one is snoozed, one is deleted, one wakes up).

I kind of wonder if we should have a checkbox option somewhere for this behavior. We launched with it turned on kind of as a kind of user-data safety measure, but it could use some refinement.

I believe the Snoozed Tab add-on crashed Firefox.

That’s very surprising - can you describe what happened when Firefox crashed?

It is leaving obsolete Other Bookmarks>Snoozed Tabs folders in my bookmarks. There is no clean up on crash/start up!!

Since this is meant to be a semi-permanent backup, we don’t ever delete this folder except to update it.

A Snoozed Tab Icon appears in the Awesome Bar list on some tabs but not all. This coincides with the list in the bookmarks folder and subsequently the list in the Snooze Tabs add-on. When the tab is ‘woken’ by the snooze add-on mechanism, the favicon for the tab is determined by the icon in the bookmarks list

That the snoozed tab icon appears in the Awesome Bar at all is interesting, and not an intentional feature. I think we’ll need to look more into that. It should only actually appear on the tab itself when a tab wakes.

If I select a tab from the Snoozed Tab list, it leaves the snoozed tab in the list. Why? If I have chosen it, it means I have ‘woken’ it early of my own volition, no more need for the snooze

We had an issue in GitHub about this, but decided not to remove clicked tabs from the list automatically. We can always revisit that decision as we get feedback on the feature, though!

If this actually happens, it’s a bug. What the code should be doing is just maintaining a list of the currently snoozed tabs in that folder as a backup. Once tabs are woken or deleted, they should disappear from that folder. If that’s not happening, we should fix it.

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response.

• Bookmarks as a mechanism
  • I am pleased to read you are not relying on Bookmarks as your machanism.
  • Perhaps I was not clear when explaining the obsolete entries. I have not experienced any sole entry remaining. I was referring to the entire Other Booknarks>Snooze Tabs folder being duplicated. This was probably due to the Firefox crash I experienced while testing. I wanted you to be aware of the issue.
  • Firefox crash
  • I was putting Snooze Tabs through its paces. I was creating, editing, deleting, selecting, searching the tabs very rapidly. I have no concrete evidence nor logs to suggest Snooze Tabs was the cause of the crash, hence the “believe” caveat. However, I had no other processes running, I have not experienced an unknown crash of Firefox in months, and I was intentionally testing Snooze Tabs very persistently. All circumstantial evidence, but I thought it worth noting.
  • Obsolete Bookmarks
    The crash was definitely the cause of the obsolete Bookmaks folder. It appeared to be a copy of the Snooze Tabs folder at the time of the crash.
  • Snooze Tabs Icon in Awesome Bar
    I can confirm it is still happening. Ironically, It coincides with the feature I was initially asking for. I would like to see any snoozed tabs appear in the Awesome Bar search, clearly marked as a snoozed tab. The icon is a perfect indicator
  • Removing Clicked tabs
    I understand the arguments for removing or not removing a clicked tab. Perhaps a checkbox option.

Cheers

1 Like