MDN plus is live!

Hey Irvin,

Thank you for your interest. We are rolling out to more countries over the coming months for both free and paid accounts. We are also considering making free accounts available in countries where paid accounts are not available. To ensure we provide the best support experience to all our readers, we are taking it slow. As we expand to more countries we will keep the community in the loop via the Hacks blog.

5 Likes

There is any plan for MDN plus to be available for developers and learners in Nigeria, Africa?

3 Likes

Hey there Ibrahim,

Thank you for reaching out and for your interest. Launching in other countries is on our list for sure. However, at the moment, we are taking the rollout of Plus a bit slow. One of the biggest reasons for this is that we are a small team entering a new space, and we want to be sure we offer you the best product possible.

We need to ensure that we can support and improve the current features and add new features that we can see the community would love. But, at the same time, we want to offer all subscribers the best support we possibly can.

I hope this answers your questions.

2 Likes

Hello schalkneething,

Thanks for your feedback and information about MDN Plus. I can’t wait to click on subscribe button and get useful information and features.

3 Likes

Well with MDN plus, will Firefox support HTML5 Apps?

First, congratulations!!

Anything that makes MDN, a very valuable resource, more sustainable I support!

Now, I wanted to register for my business in the future, but the form requires a Google login!
I hope you do not depend on anything Google for Plus!!!

I actually also wanted to comment on this topic’s assignment
Because replicating system UI (like buttons) gets all kind of hairy (accessibility-wise) and is a bad pattern to teach!

2 Likes

I agree. The fact that the final box looks like a button and we even call it a button in the description (“reasonable width for a large button”) gives the wrong impression that using styled <p> as buttons seems okay.

Do you like to create an issue at the MDN repo?

Michael

1 Like

Sadly I’m off’f Github without an intention to return. Would you take the honours?

1 Like

Hi. you have not made an assessment on my code because it is not good enough to be made an assessment on? if so I would like to know that to improve myself and change my point of view while solving assessments. thank you.

1 Like

I personally do not feel qualified to do an assessment yet, since I’ve only recently :wink: become involved with the assignments.

Although I must admit I had a quick glance and visually your button looked fine, although I might need to visit MDN to read up on some of the CSS units like rem you used, to give it a proper assessment.

I really do hope someone takes the time soon, this discussion sprang up because I like the HTML semantics and feel they should be taught proper. (use tags to their intended purpose as much as possible)

1 Like

@bedribulut I will soon :slightly_smiling_face:

No problem, I will. Thanks again for bringing this up. :+1:

Michael

Edit:

2 Likes

[quote=“mikoMK, post:20, topic:95019, full:true”]

@bedribulut I will soon :slightly_smiling_face:

I really do appreciate for your kindness and help Michael.

1 Like

An update on this everyone!

It is now possible for MDN users around the globe to create an MDN Plus free account, no matter where you are.

Also the premium version of the service will be available in 16 more countries: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, United Kingdom, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Sweden, Singapore, Switzerland, and Spain. The MDN team works towards expanding this list even further.

1 Like

Hi! First of all thanks a lot for everything you guys do to make all this content available to everyone, everywhere!
Regarding MDN Plus, I am from Lahore, Pakistan; however, only the free tier is available to me. I really wanted to support MDN and get the paid version, but I guess it’s not available in my country.
In this list of countries that you can get the premium version, I only see a few famous countries. But this is not about MDN only. For example, Amazon is not available in my country, neither is Paypal, etc. Which got me thinking why is Pakistan never in these lists? I would really appreciate any explanation. Thanks and have a nice day :smiley:

1 Like

Also, I do not mind any harsh facts (for example, inefficient law protection against illegal use of copyrighted material etc.) I just wanted to know what are some factors that go into deciding which countries to provide the premium feature. I do not think it is because of few people using, or willing to spend, because India is also not supported, and India is probably the second biggest market (next to United States) in educational content.

1 Like

I only know of the existence of legacy export restrictions and embargoes, though nothing specific applicable today I hope. It might at one point have been a UN issue even.
Them might need to be, in our jargon, deprecated or re-examined at some point if they still exist.

This is from my youth/childhood: Pakistan had a scary regime and was developing nuclear technologies. That scared people.

1 Like

Hi @akaAbdullahMateen and @boiert,

There are a couple of reasons:

1. MDN Web Docs is managed by a small team inside Mozilla and supporting a paid product is new to us. To ensure we offer everyone the best possible experience we are starting small and rolling out gradually to other countries.
  2. We can also only launch in countries (a constantly growing list) where Mozilla is able to transact based on our service provider.

Our ultimate goal is to offer our readers world wide the option to subscribe to our paid offerings if they so wish but, this is going to take some time. Thank you so much for wanting to support MDN Web Docs. Keep an eye on our Twitter(@MozDevNet) account or the Hacks blog (https://hacks.mozilla.org) for announcements as we roll out to more countries.

2 Likes

shalom, I purchased the mdn plus to use offline but Im having problems installing the pwa, I was referred to this site and two others for a solution. I was told to install from the chrome and that chrome would than guide me on the installation through pop ups on myscreen this did not happen and I dont know what to do.can you help?