MDN plus is live!

We have an exciting announcement to make: today the MDN team has unveiled MDN plus.

So, what is MDN plus?

MDN plus is a paid subscription service built on top of the current MDN content. The features offered were chosen due to users’ feedback (and include things such as notifications, collections and MDN offline.)

If you want to try it out, a free subscription is available, which give you access to some of its features

Where will MDN plus be available?

MDN plus will be released first in the US and Canada. France, Germany, Spain, Italy, UK, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, the Netherlands, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Singapore will follow in the coming months.

What will happen with MDN?

Nothing will change in regard to MDN current content. Current users will instead be able to access more features for free (when using the free subscription).

If you want to discover more, please head out to this Hack blog post.

Feel free also to post questions in this thread!

Hello all, a translation in a few languages of the basic information on MDN plus can be found here. If you want to add another language, please message me!

6 Likes

Hello @fminelli

first congratulation for releasing MDN plus for the whole team

i have some question

1. is there any plan to make any content (i mean the articles not the extra service like the notification or collection) or part of it to be only available for paid in the future

2. if someone has a suggestion for any part of the mdn (normal or plus) where he/she should suggest it
    for example 2 days ago someone asked for that

1. sorry this one not related to mdn but about mdn category in discourse
    it’s about that for new register user their email show up next to their name by default here a post i created a while ago and i got no reply

thanks for your time and have a nice day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Never. The content that you know and love will always be freely accessible to everyone.

4 Likes

For content specific suggestions, please head over to https://github.com/mdn/content/ and for platform related suggestions head to https://github.com/mdn/yari

2 Likes

Hello @schalkneethling

thanks a lot for your time and reply

awesome

nice :slight_smile:

thanks again and have a nice day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Will (or when) the free tier be available to the region out of those subscription-enabled places?

2 Likes

Hey Irvin,

Thank you for your interest. We are rolling out to more countries over the coming months for both free and paid accounts. We are also considering making free accounts available in countries where paid accounts are not available. To ensure we provide the best support experience to all our readers, we are taking it slow. As we expand to more countries we will keep the community in the loop via the Hacks blog.

5 Likes

There is any plan for MDN plus to be available for developers and learners in Nigeria, Africa?

3 Likes

Hey there Ibrahim,

Thank you for reaching out and for your interest. Launching in other countries is on our list for sure. However, at the moment, we are taking the rollout of Plus a bit slow. One of the biggest reasons for this is that we are a small team entering a new space, and we want to be sure we offer you the best product possible.

We need to ensure that we can support and improve the current features and add new features that we can see the community would love. But, at the same time, we want to offer all subscribers the best support we possibly can.

I hope this answers your questions.

2 Likes

Hello schalkneething,

Thanks for your feedback and information about MDN Plus. I can’t wait to click on subscribe button and get useful information and features.

3 Likes

Well with MDN plus, will Firefox support HTML5 Apps?

First, congratulations!!

Anything that makes MDN, a very valuable resource, more sustainable I support!

Now, I wanted to register for my business in the future, but the form requires a Google login!
I hope you do not depend on anything Google for Plus!!!

I actually also wanted to comment on this topic’s assignment
Because replicating system UI (like buttons) gets all kind of hairy (accessibility-wise) and is a bad pattern to teach!

2 Likes

I agree. The fact that the final box looks like a button and we even call it a button in the description (“reasonable width for a large button”) gives the wrong impression that using styled <p> as buttons seems okay.

Do you like to create an issue at the MDN repo?

Michael

1 Like

Sadly I’m off’f Github without an intention to return. Would you take the honours?

1 Like

Hi. you have not made an assessment on my code because it is not good enough to be made an assessment on? if so I would like to know that to improve myself and change my point of view while solving assessments. thank you.

1 Like

I personally do not feel qualified to do an assessment yet, since I’ve only recently :wink: become involved with the assignments.

Although I must admit I had a quick glance and visually your button looked fine, although I might need to visit MDN to read up on some of the CSS units like rem you used, to give it a proper assessment.

I really do hope someone takes the time soon, this discussion sprang up because I like the HTML semantics and feel they should be taught proper. (use tags to their intended purpose as much as possible)

1 Like

@bedribulut I will soon :slightly_smiling_face:

No problem, I will. Thanks again for bringing this up. :+1:

Michael

Edit:

2 Likes