Meeting Friday Sept 5 is happening

That’s about it.

Can everyone make it?

1 Like

As I mentioned on IRC, I have a class during our normal meeting time this semester, so I won’t be able to make it. I apologize about not posting this on Discourse - we also created a Doodle poll to try to figure out a new time for the meeting, accordingly.

1 Like

I have class, as well.

1 Like

Yes, it’s helpful to share stuff like this async :-p

It looks like Friday at 5pm EDT is the best time, only yousef can’t make it. There isn’t actually a time where logan, tanner and yousef can all make it (in fact there isn’t a single time here that yousef and tanner can both make).

So for this week let’s go with the Friday option and we can figure out if that’s our permanent time.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. I’ll send out calendar invites.

I would rather not do Fridays, and can’t do anything after around 3PM UTC, so I won’t be able to attend this one

I’m away friday to monday so I won’t be able to make this meeting.

1 Like

That’s 10 PM BST. I should be home by 9PM, so yes.

Ok, so we’ll meet with who can meet and then we’ll do another round to try
and find a better time. In the mean time this is good incentive to use
Discourse more often.

1 Like

What’s the agenda for Friday?

We usually go through a standard list of updates and then go off of the
other topics based off of who has attended, but you’re right we should try
to be more intentional.

I think it hasn’t been working well to keep using the same pad. It makes
people afraid to touch it. I’ve created this pad -
https://communityit.etherpad.mozilla.org/Meeting-2014-09-05 - but don’t have
time to touch it at the moment.

Please dump in the pad what you personally would like to see addressed at
the meeting. Based on that we can pick some priorities, start some
discussions etc. also if someone could drop in the standard list of things
we need to get updates on, eg discourse, wpms, previous action items,
that’d be much appreciated.

I’ve added a basic layout and my module updates (in detail since I can’t attend - @tad make sure this is recorded)

I sent you a calendar invite. It also contains a Hangouts link for when it starts.

The agenda as I see it right now looks like a tactical checkin. There’s value in that of course.

There’s a strategy part that we’re missing around what this group’s function is. I’m concerned that we’re doing work but without any sense of the end goal or mission for this group.

There needs to be a larger discussion around this (and @tad and I talked about this a bit).

In fact, the core questions I asked more than a year ago are still largely unanswered:

1. What impact does this group want to have on the Mozilla project?
  2. How do we become a force multiplier for Mozilla?
  3. What are our 9-12 month goals & objectives and how do they align with and further the Mozilla Missions?

I’d also add two more questions:

• Name change - is “Community IT” really reflective of what this group has been doing or wants to do?
  • How does this group grow? How do we attract the right level of contributors & mentors?

None of this can happen without involvement with Mozilla. How do we encourage more involvement?

@tad had a good summary of this group and I’ll end with that:

Mozilla Community Operations is a group of volunteer systems administrators working to provide Mozilla with systems services to support community.

1 Like

FYI, I moved the content to the original pad that keeps all the meetings and changed the URL in your post accordingly.

Edit: Didn’t read the sentence about how using a single pad for all meeting is bad. My mistake. Do we want to split off into a separate pad again?

Yes, please put it back.

My apologies. Restored the separate pad (albeit at a slightly different link, as Etherpad doesn’t allow for resurrection of links). I’ll read more carefully in the future. :wink: