OMG! Firefox v.57.0, You Have Devastated This User! Legacy Extensions Gone & I Need Them Back!

#1: Autofill form

#2: Email This! Bookmarklet Extension

#3: Saved Password Editor

*There are NO applicable replacements for each of the above-referenced!

*Autofill Form also was my go-to for years, and after perusal for another, there is no equal!

*I have hundreds of saved passwords with Saved Password Editor; now, how do I retrieve them?!

This password editor has been my go-to for years without problems. I hope it is back again soon!

*Email This! Bookmarklet Extension, constantly used by me, is missed and I have found no adequate replacement!

What is being done to rectify the cancellation of these “Legacy” add-Ons? In all candor, I have no idea what Legacy

refers to, what it is that is separate from other extensions/add-on. All I know is I want them “fixed” and brought back as soon as possible!

Others may have replacements to recommend (I just know #3 is not possible to implement right now), but I’ll address the other question.

The technology used to develop add-ons changed in Firefox 57. We’ve given developers over a year to migrate to the new technology, but many haven’t, and in other cases (like #3) it’s not possible to migrate right now because of missing functionality in the new tech. Add-ons using the old technology are legacy add-ons, and they won’t work in Firefox 57 and above.

Thanks for your response. I was perfectly happy until 57.0 auto-allowed install; it is faster, to be sure; having said that, the deletions are a catastrophe for this gal. I simply cannot find any similar or at least competent add-ons to replace the my relied upon three cancelled via the 57.0 upgrade.

Incidentally, with the install of 57.0, I had to do some tuning to my toolbars and custom settings which had caused changes. In doing so, I inadvertently removed the Firefox icon on the address toolbar (which now is situated first on the toolbar before the left/right arrows). Any tips on how to get it back??

To others members: I would be greatly appreciative of any viable recommendations if the respondent is familiar with these extensions I mentioned, to wit: Email Me. Bookmarklet Extension; and Password Editor.

:crossed_fingers:

Hi @loukamino28, I’m not seeing an extension by the name of ‘Email Me’ – could it be one of the extensions found on this list? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=email%2Bme&platform=all&appver=any&page=

Edited to add: Oops – I didn’t read your first message! It looks like this version of Email This! is compatible with Firefox 57 and has received some good reviews: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/emailthis/

As a replacement for Bookmarklet, would Bookmarklets Context Menu meet your needs?

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find a 1:1 replacement for Password Editor. However, it looks like the developer does intend to update once a certain API becomes available. In the meantime, he offers a few options on the Password Editor listing at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/saved-password-editor/.

1 Like

I would suggest that you backtrack to Firefox ESR: Version 52.5 can be downloaded here. You can then turn off updates/upgrades. You might need to re-install your favorite add-ons.

OR, you can switch to Waterfox. Definitely have to reinstall all your add-ons.

There is also Pale Moon. Pale Moon will also install on 32 bit machines, if you need it to. Pale Moon (32 bit) is a like running a much older version of Firefox… like version 27.

[edit] Pale Moon Warning: Being like such an older version, it is likely that your add-ons will not install.

Turning off updates on FF52 ESR is a bad idea. The point of going to FF52 ESR instead of staying on FF56 is that you continue to get security updates.

You might want to change to having Firefox ask you about updates (in about:preferences), but the only updates it should be doing for you is to new versions of 52 ESR (i.e. security updates), then to FF59 ESR when it’s released.

1 Like

Exactly why I said turn off updates. When FF ESR updates to version 59, the end user will be in the same situation he/she is in now. The XUL add-ons, that the end user currently needs, will cease to exist. I hope the user finds replacements, but that might not be possible.

Yes, but then you can turn off updates 6 months from now, not right now. If you’re concerned about forgetting, then change updates to: “Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them”.

If you’re going to completely turn off updates and not update, then you might as well stay on FF56 with updates off, or FF55 (some add-ons stopped working with FF56), instead of going to FF52 ESR. The point of going to FF52 ESR is so you continue to get security updates.