@benfrancis I suggest that this should be analysed a bit further?
- What are the criteria to automatically include or exclude Things from the Floorplan?
- What are the criteria to include or exclude from the Things page?
- Are those criteria the same for the Things page and the Floorplan?
- Should only real physical things qualify?
- For a counter-example, I have a lampstand containing two physical bulbs, so I set up a virtual light to control both and I want it on the Floorplan beside the two actual things.
- For the developers of existing Add-ons, what will they have to do?
- What if they don’t agree with your chosen direction?
- What if they can’t be bothered to update their Add-on?
- If some current Things are excluded from the Things page, then what new page will be there to control them?
- What if I, as a user, want a timer on the Floorplan?
I believe that in the medium to long term, the Floorplan should become the primary control surface for home automation and therefore, with some possible future smart defaults, the user should control what appears there.
In the long term, I suggest a concept of folders similar to iPhones (i.e. one level only, folders can not contain folders) that work the same way in Floorplan, Things and Rules pages will possibly work better than an include/exclude facility.