This week on MDN — July 24-30

Hello MDN folk!

There has been a lot of good work done this week; I’d like to start a thread to explore some of it. Please reply and let us know what you’ve been doing recently!

This week, I have done the following:

• Made lots of progress on Fx56 updates for HTML, CSS, and DOM.
  • Wrote detailed references for two more form input types: radio and search.
  • Worked on last WebVR tutorial, covering controllers.

Hi there,

The same old song is still playing :slight_smile: I’ve been working maintaining the HTML / CSS / JavaScript section in French and I’m slowly but surely going through those new <input type="..."> pages as time allows :slight_smile:

Nice work Sphinx!

And you’ve reminded me — I also wrote my guide to <link rel=“preload”>, which you’ve already translated to fr:

:wink:

1 Like

Hey all,

my focus this week:

• Browser compat data:
  • KumaScript
    • There’s been quite a lot PRs to KumaScript lately for which I tried to provide reviews for.
    • Started a branch that would load the data package that we published a while ago, but still WIP.
  • GSOC
    • Reviewed Anthony’s PRs
    • There is one outstanding issue on the WebExtension, and then we will try to submit to AMO (again).

Dave Parfitt and I have kicked-off our work on moving MDN into AWS. We’ll be focused on this 100% for the rest of the quarter, with John Whitlock joining our effort later in the quarter and Josh Mize taking-on any SRE tasks that might distract Dave. We’re building on the work of Dave, John, Josh, and myself from previous months, and hoping we can get MDN fully running in AWS (a stretch goal) or at least an instance of MDN running in maintenance-mode and able to accept production traffic. Our work is being tracked and stored in the https://github.com/mozmeao/infra GitHub repo.

I’m primarily focused on the SEO project right now:

• Wrote up the user story for an experiment to test the effect of fixing a set of pages which are currently “thin” (too short).
  • Set up tasks on the thin pages user story for each of the 20 selected pages.
  • Updated the /Web/Events/TabClose article based on SEO expert recommendations, making it a little longer and adding some details as well as some better links and style updates.
  • Found some useful Google Sheets scripts to use to help with SEO analysis work.

Current work:

• I have a PR nearly ready to go which adds to the MDN editor a word counter in the corner of the editor (in the information bar already present). This will be useful for SEO purposes, since article content length is a factor in SEO work.
  • Once that’s submitted, I intend to spend a little time finishing up the Intersection Observer docs, since they’re so close. Then hopefully review some media doc requests.