Thunderbird Beta "Not responding" and freezes on Windows [caused by Windows Defender]

Did you ever get this solved? TB is also just stopping on my mac at least once a day. I have TB 60.8.0 and a new Mac Mini running 10.14.5. I thought the problem was from my 2012 Mac mini being out of gas but the problem persists.

It is annoying.

Thanks for any advice you have.

I get a “wheel of death” and when I check the force quit pull down, the note is “Not Responding” so I have to force quit TB. Then log back in. It just happened again and happened at the time I was sending an email.

1 Like

Hi, sorry for the mac users, I do not have any advice. As for me, I added all TB folder in the exceptions in Windows Defender. I know this is really not the best solution as you may have attachments with viruses, but I couldn’t work otherwise. Had spend many hours on it anyway.

I have the same issue on multiple machines, Linux and Mac. The freeze occurs on change of focus, when I click into the Thundebird window or click into the window created with New Message. It frequently freezes typing a new message. On Mac I can get a spinning blue disc or a spinning rainbow disc.

1 Like

Frequent unresponsiveness here, too, for a long time. I just force quit/deal with it, usually, but figured I’d finally get around to adding my own experience. For me, it typically happens after I’ve minimized my Thunderbird inbox window to my Mac OS X dock, then go back to it later to read new emails. As soon as I click the minimized window to pull it out of the dock, I’ve got the spinning rainbow beach ball and have to force quit. It’s not every time, but frequent enough to be annoying. Pretty much at least once a day.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Mac OS X Mojave (10.14.5)
Thunderbird 60.8.0

Gentle users…

The original Windows users’ problem is resolved, and also Beta was being used.

If you are a Mac user, or not using Beta, please file a new topic for your problem. Also, check https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems

1 Like

On Windows, this may be a corrupt index (MSF) folder. Go to run - %appdata%, find your thunderbird email folder, and rename the suspect msf folder as [foldername].msf.bad
Restart t-bird and it will rebuild the index.
I keep all of my old email for many years, and this has saved me a number of times.

This happens to me a few times a day. I am on a Mac. Any solutions?

As a starting point, please see Thunderbird Beta "Not responding" and freezes on Windows [caused by Windows Defender]

What MSF folders? I have folders, and I have text files with an msf extension. If you mean the text files, which ones should I modify? I have dozens of them. Thanks.

You have wrote that original windows users problem is resolved. However, it remains unclear what is meant by this? Is it resolved by TB update or what?
The freezing problem still exists.
So what are the steps I need to take to resolve this issue?

Hi,

After updating to 71.0b1 (32-bit) on Windows 10 (Home), a similar problem started to manifest itself (it wasn’t present in the previous version).

The problem appears when trying to introduce an email address in the “To:” field when writing a new email or responding to one. The CPU usage jumps to about 25% (on a relatively old Core i3, not sure this is relevant) and the entire program freezes for 10 to 30 seconds, sometimes longer.

Perhaps it’s worth mentioning that there are about a dozen email accounts in use with literally hundreds, perhaps thousands of addresses in the address book.

Istvan, what is the total number of contacts in your address books?

Somewhere around 17k addresses.

Still, I don’t think this has anything to do with the size of the address book, considering that the issue didn’t appear until the last update.

Edit: Perhaps it’s also worth mentioning that when idle, the CPU usage of Thunderbird is at around 15-16%. When the issue appears, it jumps by at least 10%.

Don’t be fooled - “Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results”. In this case, 71 beta has major changes to address book, which can easily affect performance.

One issue is being examined in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1597394

p.s. your issue isn’t related to Defender, so it should not be posted under this topic. Better to post your own new topic

I was trying to troubleshoot with safe mode on, switching off antivirus, upgrading to latest Thunderbird etc. Finally found something that’s really quite stable. I switched off hardware acceleration. I hope it works for you.

I have been plagued with ‘not responding’ issues for over a year. Tried everything. Removed plug-ins, Hardware acceleration off, reinstall, remove profile lock, Disable search, no aftermarket anti-virus programs, no entries in address book, rebuilt index still hangs all the time. Especially when I empty junk or open an inbox. Only way to get out is to shut down app and restart. Sometimes multiple times before it works.
I have a new Dell computer with i7 9th Gen and plenty of memory. Task Manager shows no issues while TB is hung.
I am ready to kick TB to the curb.

1 Like

@dcol So you have been through https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems ?

For me I fixed it by installing a default dictionary. For some reason I had none but it was still trying to check spelling when writing (in options) or my old dictionary got lost. Installed a new one, reloaded, no lockup when I reply and start writing a message.

Can confirm.

Been through every “guide” thrown at me, disabled extensions, settings, blocked AV from it, rebuild MSF, tweaked IMAP settings, different TB versions, different computers.

Thunderbird has just had a terrible performance issue for a few years now with the blame being pointed everywhere but itself.

I’d happily look into an equally featured alternative at this point.

1 Like