Unapproving translations whose source strings have been updated

Hello! Is there any way in Pontoon to _un_approve any approved translation when its source string is updated? Alternatively, if that’s not possible, is there a way to find a list of such translations?

(I thought at first that this might be what “Fuzzy” means, but I tested out making an update to an English string, existing translations of that string weren’t marked as Fuzzy.)

Thanks!
-Anand

What happens here really depends on file format.

For bilingual file formats, the en-US string is regarded the key, and for those, Pontoon creates a new reference entity, and possibly fuzzy translations.

For monolingual files, there’s keys, which are considered to be semantic version IDs, effectively.

If you want to enforce a change to translations, you need to rev the ID.

This comes with the benefit that if you want to change the English string w/out affecting all localizations, you just don’t change the ID, and that will happen for you.

1 Like

Thanks @Pike!

FWIW, our use case is sort of in between “change the English w/out affecting all localizations” and “enforce a change to translations”: we want to be able to review existing translations for strings whose English content has changed, revising them only if necessary. One idea: there were a way to filter strings for any locale by the update time of the corresponding English string, that would solve this pretty neatly…

We’re adding a review functionality as we speak.

Maybe a follow-up could be to add a review step for all translations of a string.

@mathjazz?

Hi @anand,

It seems like filtering by source string update time would solve the problem. But I wonder if such filter would be visible enough.

Users usually watch dashboards to see what needs to be worked on, so adding another translation status (e.g. Reviewed) is probably a better solution.

Hi @mathjazz,

I think you’re right that a Reviewed status would be ideal, but as that seems like a larger endeavor, I put together a PR attempting to add a “Stale” filter that looks for translations whose edit times are before their corresponding source string’s updated time: https://github.com/mozilla/pontoon/pull/1625. We’ll probably use this in our fork, but also happy to clean it up if you’d like to take it upstream!