Understanding Mozillians

So I was asked to work on developing a proposal for how participation can involve volunteers.

I looked at that from the opposite direction, and thought about how volunteers like to be intergrated. I came up with interesting summaries of different types of Mozillian I’ve encountered at Mozilla.

Note that while the document focuses on volunteers, the three groups can probably be applied to employees too.

Then it hit me. It’s been nearly 3 years since anybody researched the state of our community, and more particularly, the people within it. And even then, when we did publish a document about different types of ‘contributors’, I don’t feel as if a wide enough range of people had some influence on how that document was written.

If we want to plan for participation, would it not make sense that we learn from the people we already have?

My current experiment is talking to mozillians from all contexts and backgrounds from Mozilla to try and build a report on different categories of volunteers, and best practices for working with them.

Before I do that, is anybody else doing something similar, or have any thoughts?

http://education.mozilla-community.org/modules/about/personas/

OOOH!
Aweomse

How do I help?

1. Rosana and her team are driving some work right now on this to
    characterize communities and Mozillians. I would encourage you to link with
    her on this.

2. There was work done on this last year:
    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zULlu-uyyjidT5PzLizx_JOKIgjq8MuVXBD-s4kVlQg/edit#slide=id.p

I think the idea of digging into and characterizing motivations,
commitments and capabilities is an important piece of work. I think you can
definitely add framing that helps.

Thanks for bringing this up, this is timely for me as we at the Firefox Student Ambassadors program are planning to conduct a survey to get to know our young contributors better. CBT’s survey last year was awesome and I was wondering if I can have a copy of the questions as our reference in creating the survey. Would really love to hear the thoughts of Mozillians about this too! Will get in touch with Rosana about this.