Web-ext on Windows without admin

Hi,

I’m unused to using node on Windows and was wondering if I can use the web-ext tool without an admin account? It appears to install fine but running web-ext results in powershell telling me it’s not recognised.

I never used it with PowerShell, but with cmd it works fine. Did you restart the computer after the installation of node.js? Otherwise your global node modules might not be on the path.
And you have to do a global installation npm i -g web-ext.
Without the -g it’s installed locally and you will have to explicitly call it from its local installation location.

It works from an account with admin privileges but from a standard account it says web-ext is not recognised.

It depends on how exactly you install node (and npm and maybe its version), but I think the default location for global modules is in every users AppData.
So you will need to do a “global” installation for every user.

Sure but on my non-admin user I did npm i -g web-ext and it installs fine. However if I then type web-ext it tells me it’s not recognised.

If I run cmd.exe or powershell as an admin user then installing and running works.

Ah I solved it. Becuase node was installed using an admin user, the path wasn’t added to other accounts. So I had to add %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\npm to my user’s environment variables.