What is Permissible Use of userChrome.css for a Firefox Extension

I’m about to release a replacement that largely duplicates the menu structure of BBCodeWebex.

Its menu structure looks like this:

The limits of the Webextensions api are such that in a app can only have one top level context menu item, and it is always at the end of the context menu list:

Obviously, I would like to have multiple top level menus, and giving the user the ability to move the menu up or down would be nice.

Based on a quick read of the capabilities of userChrome.css, it appears that I might be able to fix this with a custom userChrome.css.

If I do that for just me, this is obviously not a problem, but before I try to distribute something like this with the extension, I need to know what the limits of this might be by the standards of review.

I am aware of an extension that does this, reStyle, but I am not sure if what I am thinking of doing (in a later release, not the upcoming intial release) would lead to issues upon review of the program.

I can’t answer your question, but as a person with a userChrome.css file, I would not look kindly on having it replaced or corrupted by an extension.

1 Like

Actually, I was thinking about having the text that a user could paste in as part of the docs.

It would not be done without some sort of very explicit user action.

In any case, it looks like CSS cannot do this, so the point is moot.