Why is it so hard (or impossible) to change the download folder in Firefox on Android?

I have the same problem described here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1225762

Following the instructions did not let me download to my sd card. I’m guessing it has something to do with “… most devices will require you to have root access in order to write a file to the external storage device.”

That leaves me wondering, what other methods of solving this problem have been tried?

Maybe a toggle that tells Firefox to download to a folder inside its own data dir? /SD card/Android/data/org.mozilla.firefox exists on my sdcard. Couldn’t that be targeted?

Anyway, I am genuinely curious.

Oh, a side question, any idea why my Samsung Tab S3 will not let me move Firefox (and other apps) to the sd card? Even though some apps it will let me?

Apologies if this is a bad location to ask this kind of thing. I find Mozilla’s communications channels to be very very confusing, and I’m never quite sure where I should actually post anything…

1 Like

Sounds similar to this report about the Tab S: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1096142

Both solutions are the same, and did not work for me.

They’re also rather arcane for anyone not technically inclined. Which is why I’m curious about why things are the way they are.

Since version 70.0 developers removed the ability to access about:config
Until that version you could set

browser.download.folderlist to 2

create browser.download.dir and as a string you could fill in the path to the folder of your desire.

Your question about ability to move firefox to SD-card.
You need to enable developer Options on your phone. By tapping Build number 7 times. Go to settings - Software info.

New hidden developer menu appears. Scroll all the way down to: Force allow apps on external. Make sure you activate it.

Then go out. Within settings - apps find forefox.
Tap on it, go to storage. Now you have the ability to move it to SD-CARD.

Done. :slightly_smiling_face: