Why No Ad-Blocker for Current Version?

Every ad-blocker add-on I can see says it doesn’t work with the current version (68.8.1 (32-bit)). I’m using Windows 10. I’d particularly like to get rid of flashing and animated ads that I find unbearably distracting. Am I missing something?

Hey @Ananisapta, that’s interesting – pretty much all of the adblockers on addons.mozilla.org should work with Firefox 68. Could you share a screenshot of what you see when you try to install one?

Thanks for the offer of help! Here’s what I see now when I search with parameters as indicated. When I didn’t use so many parameters, I saw a long list of add-ons greyed-out; the mouse-over message was “Not compatible with your version of ThunderBird.”

Ah, got it! The folks who run the Thunderbird add-ons site should be able to help you out with this. Sorry, we’re not as much help as the folks who monitor this forum work on addons.mozilla.org for Firefox add-ons. :slight_smile:

I’m confused! I got to this site via Thunderbird’s Add-ons Manager, down at the bottom where it says FORUM. Later, I tried addons.thunderbird.net, got the same list of add-ons that won’t work with the current version, and clicked on the supplied link that reads https://discourse.mozilla.org/c/thunderbird/addons and wound up right back here!

Hi

Yes - the support link goes to the wrong part of the forum. The Firefox guys have moved your post to the T’bird addons part. Welcome!

I looked at a couple of ad blockers I’ve used in Firefox and you’re right - they don’t work. The main reason is that Firefox updated its addons to ‘Web Extensions’ in v57 and the addon makers followed suit. Thunderbird didn’t: it’s no longer run by Mozilla and it doesn’t have the resources. It’s slowly catching up - limited ‘Mail Extensions’ will work in TB 78. I don’t know if that will allow ad blockers to work again, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Some more background here: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/3698

uBlock Origin works somewhat with TB68. I do use it primarily for reading RSS feeds. You’d need to open a feed message in a new tab, not in a new window.

It’s not available on AMO though, and it won’t auto-update. You’ll need to get the .xpi for Thunderbird from Github.