Add-on requests and ideas

Here are some requests for Firefox add-ons, let’s say. I hope that it’s appropriate.

Scroll bar functions to move to page edges
Windows scroll bars have a context menu, which is accessed by right clicking on them. From the options provided on the menu, the ability to easily and directly go the top and bottom of the page stands out, leaving aside the need to drag the scroll bar all the way. (Consider the example of a heavy or long page.) Firefox has removed or never implemented this feature — its scroll bars have no context menu — regardless of being needed, useful and not harmful. Websites don’t offer their own scroll bar, they rely on the browser to provide the main standard one. But when it comes to easily accessing the top and bottom of pages, since the browser fails to offer the ability, there are many websites that recreate the feature each in their own way, which also compromises a standard interface, when instead, it should be the browser to provide it. There are also many add-ons that attempt at this functionally, again, each in their own way. This evident high popularity, in websites and add-ons, only shows how much needed and requested the functionality is and the importance to be properly provided by the browser. Sadly, in no place where the function appears, is it conceived in the most logical and unobtrusive way. On top of it, when due, often there’s wrongfully only the option to go to the top of the page, overlooking the bottom, left and right. Now see, for example, the disastrous implementation of a certain add-on, which however offers customization:

The arrows serve to go directly to the top and bottom of the page. However, the ability is actually to be best provided in a more reasonable way that doesn’t appear to be available anywhere — through buttons on the scroll bars as in this mock-up:

The wonderful take of mine is inspired, and therefore creating design coherence, by audio and video control buttons (such as in Windows Media Player) and, especially, by the Office suite’s similar buttons with similar functions. Note that in the mock-up the double arrow icons are missing a line (|), as they should actually look as in this graphic example, , to correctly signal going to the end and not just moving. This obvious and marvelous design may have some problems. Perhaps it’s already found in some obscure buried add-on, or worst, perhaps add-ons can’t replicate it for technical reasons. It should look different depending on the system theme and browser theme and customization, which could require a smart way to manage it. Only from this add-on perspective, it brings back the importance of the absent Windows scroll bar context menu. It’s a less ideal way, but that has no appearance problems while being better than other implementations. There is a add-on that adds the entries to the page context menu (not the scroll bars context menu, and excluding left and right too).
Things get better when we evaluate how truly useful are the current arrow buttons that scroll bars have. These current buttons move the page one notch, or so, up or down (and left or right) when clicked. This is something that most users presumably will instead do with their mouse scroll wheel, keyboard shortcut or even by dragging. Holding the buttons also has an effect, but it’s very similar to holding the track. Thus, by Firefox standards, they are useless. Then, the opportunity to reassign the buttons to move directly to the edges of the page instead appears (ideally with double arrow icons for distinction). And that, is something a add-on could also attempt, probably bypassing appearance problems by just reassigning the button’s function.

The above take should be the best, without the current unimportant buttons, backed up for it with a context menu with options such as moving a notch, and with the new buttons to go to the top and bottom of pages immediately, replacing the old ones.
Any thoughts on this just say, especially, getting it done.

Always being able to use the “View Image” function
Web page image context menus have a useful option, “View Image,” sometimes, “View Background Image” as well. These right click options won’t show if the image is a link or maybe behind one. Get them to still be displayed when there’s a link, for it’s equally as useful and relevant. Do you have any insight into this that I may be missing? Otherwise, add-on it.

If Chrome were to add page edge scrollbar buttons Firefox would have them copied in a couple of months.

I think your suggestion that Firefox would blindly follow Chrome on this is wrong. However, you’re not the first to suggest a mechanism for quickly scrolling to the top or bottom. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=66998 for an example.

I said it was pretty wanted, so it’s like I said that there are requests for it. Although in that particular case it’s obscure to hold a key and middle click. I’m in for innovative buttons instead.