Adding your own background image?

I just installed Thunderbird , and was trying to set the Theme , it only gave a choice of Light or Dark , so I did a search for backgrounds , and it showed me a link to Add-Ons , but the ones that said to be able to change your background to a image you choose , said it was not compatible with my version …

So is there a Add On that will allow me to change my background image , as the ones that come with Thunderbird look like 1995 Windows backgrounds , and honestly suck to look at … , or is the one that says it is not compatible still able to work work ??? …

All I want to do is use a .jpg for the background , but I do not see any way to do that (like how Windows 10 Mail App (pc) does , as I can’t use it any longer and that is why I downloaded Thunderbird , because it “looked” like it would be close to the same in function , but has some differences , like this , so I would like to fix it so it looks more pleasing … Any help would be appreciated … Thanks … Jim

None of the old themes work. The new ‘web extension’ themes only allow an image in the header. They look easy to make, using your own jpeg: https://developer.thunderbird.net/add-ons/examples/web-extension-themes
but I guess that’s not what you have in mind.

If you’re technical there may be workarounds:

but that method (userChrome.css) may not work much longer either.

Yea , what I wanted was kind of like Windows 10 Mail has , where you go to Settings and go to Background , and Choose a Image , and its done … So far I am really disappointed in Thunderbird , its like when I tried it 4 years ago , it is like it is still exactly the same , incomplete , I downloaded this Add On to make it so it shows when a email arrives , like ALL other email programs do without any add on , but all it does is show on the Taskbar Icon that there is a email , only after you open Thunderbird and watch it download , Duh , what is the point of letting you know there is a email ?? , you are looking right at it , I want to know BEFORE I OPEN IT ! , so I know I should open it because I have new mail , instead its a guessing game and open , close , open close all day , wondering if this time there will be a email or not , and the fact that you can sit there for 5 hours and there is never a notification that you have new mail , but if you open it up , several download … it is just stupid , its worse than what Windows had in 1995 , actually what Windows had then , works better than this does now …

Just highly disappointed that it is so incomplete , its like someone started to make it , then stopped 1/4 the way finished , then released it anyway … I was going to try Opera Mail , but they are having issues with my Log In , it seems you have to Log In periodically to keep your account open , I got a notice that I needed to Log In , so I went to the link and tried and it gives a error , I have been dealing with Tech Support for over a week on this … so I have Thunderbird that is basically almost non functional , and another email that I want to try but can’t because they can’t figure out why I can’t Log In to a account I have had for several years , and Windows 10 Mail App wants a Update that I can’t do , so it is going to stop functioning , and Microsoft said there is nothing they can do about it … All I want is a email that works , and looks nice and is actually complete without needing to install a “Add On” that should have been part of the program in the first place …

Anyway , thanks for the info , but yea , I kind of wanted something simple that works , I don’t want to spend hours doing something that should have been done 4 years ago when it was incomplete and pretty much the same as it is now , back then , and should not have been released incomplete , if I wanted to build my own email program , I would have studied Coding , I want to download it , install it , and use it in 1 day , not mess with it like I have and still have a poor at best program , that was poorly thought out … , it was a long process to just get my contacts put in , and even then I did not get them all and that was AFTER downloading a Add On to do that … just dumb and unnecessary …

Would they buy a car with only 3 wheels ?? , and then accept it when the salesman says , “well , you can have the other wheel but you have to make it yourself , and put it on” I doubt it , so why release a incomplete project with Add Ons that don’t even work , or are linked to it , but then say they are incompatible with it … it makes no sense whatsoever …