Assessment wanted for Marking up a letter -- Giyomu

Hello everyone,
I would like to get my assignment assessed :slight_smile:
There are 2 things mainly that i didn’t get. First is this

The university motto quote and citation should be marked up with appropriate elements.

I don’t understand how i’m supposed to do that. In the course we learn the quotation block “blockquote”) and the simple quotation (“q”). But the attributes is supposed to be an URL. I don’t know how to markup the citation by just saying it comes from a book (which is the case here it seems). So tbh i don’t really understands what is expected of me here ^^

The second is the errors for “p” elements i get when checking with w3.org

It tells me there are a few instances of “/p” without the initial “p”, but i can’t see what it is referring to in my html document.

Also if you have anything to say about my document ^^
My html
Assessment page

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi there @Giyomu, and thanks for sending your code in!

This is not looking too bad at all — you have got most things right. There are a few things to look at, and I’d invite you to look at our marking guide to see what we did: https://github.com/mdn/learning-area/blob/master/html/introduction-to-html/marking-up-a-letter-finished/marking-guide.md

The main things I noticed were:

1. For the <div class="sender-column">, you could’ve use an <address> element in place of the <div>, to surround the whole lot of the contact details. “address” doesn’t just mean postal address.

2. For the quote/cite, we went with this:

<p>University of Awesome motto: <q>Be awesome to each other.</q> -- <cite>The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></cite>

The cite attribute should contain a URL to the source of the quote, rather than the name of it, but it’s not very useful because it doesn’t provide a link to the source, or anything. If you have a link to the quote source, doing something like this would be best:

<p>University of Awesome motto: <q>Be awesome to each other.</q> -- <cite><a href="https://www.link-to-the-source.com">The memoirs of Bill S Preston, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></a></cite>

Now onto your validation errors — bear in mind that the W3C validator is a useful tool for finding errors, but it isn’t the absolute truth in terms of whether a page is good or not. A lot of code you see online will have validation errors. You should fix as many validation errors as you can, but 100% valid is not always an absolute necessity.

Looking at the errors, it is complaining about finding a closing </p> at line 52, with no matching opening <p>. This is because you’ve not closed the <p> at line 39 when it finishes, then nested your unordered list inside the paragraph, then finally closed it at line 52.

Moving the

at line 52 will fix that problem.

Then you’ve got similar problems further down - you don’t nest lists inside paragraphs, and you need to make sure all the paragraphs are opened and closely properly.

Ok, thank you very much for your assessment! I will correct it :slight_smile: