Assessment wanted for Marking up letter

Hello,

I’m new to HTML and I’ve worked through all the Introduction to HTML courses and now I’m in the assessments part. I’ve done the marking up a letter part and i need this to be assessed.

Here is the link to my work.

Thank you very much!

Hi there @joydeep_tapaswi, and welcome to the community. I’ve looked over your work, and it looks really good — congratulations! I can’t really find much to comment on that needs improvement :wink:

The only thing I wanted to mention was the fact that you write your attributes out with a bunch of extra whitespace, e.g.

title = " United Kingdom"

whereas I’d write it without the whitespace, e.g.

title="United Kingdom"

Is there any reason why you write it out like that? I’m not saying it’s wrong as such, and it probably won’t result in any parsing errors, but I reckon in cases where you’ve got a lot of attributes on a single HTML element, it’ll be less confusing if you don’t have the extra whitespace.

Thanks a lot for such a quick reply. Your suggestion is quite helpful and will keep in mind for my future works. Hope I will submit more assessments soon to keep you busy.

I am pretty busy already :wink:

But also happy to help — I really love helping others learn.

1 Like
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en-US">
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <title>Letter</title>
    <meta name="author" content="The author of this website is Abhinav Juyal.">
    <meta name="description" content="This is one of the assessment provided in MDN Web Docs : Learn Web Development page.">
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/s1.css">
</head>
<body>
    <header>  
            <address class="sender-column">
                 <p><b>Dr. Eleanor Gaye</b><br>
                 Awesome Science faculty<br>
                 University of Awesome<br>
                 Bobtown, CA 99999,<br>
                 USA<br>
                 <strong>Tel:</strong>123-456-7890<br>
                 <strong>Email:</strong>no_reply@example.com
             </p>
         </address>
         <br>
         <p class="sender-column"><time datetime="20-01-2016">20 January 2016</time></p>
         <br>
        <address>
            <p><b>Miss Eileen Dover</b><br>
            4321 Cliff Top Edge<br>
            Dover,CT9 XXX
            UK                   
            </p> 
        </address>  
    </header>
    <main>     
    <h1>Re: Eileen Dover university application</h1>

<p>Dear Eileen,</p>
        <p>Thank you for your recent application to join us at the University of Awesome's science faculty to study as part
            of your <abbr title="Doctorate of Philosophy">PhD</abbr> next year. I will answer your questions one by one, in the follwing sections.
        </p>
    </section>
    <section>
        <h2>Starting dates</h2>
        <p>We are happy to accomodatte you starting your study with us at any time, however it would suit us better if you
        could start at the beginning of a semester; the start dates for each one are as follows:</p>
        <br>
        <ul>
            <li>First semester: <time datetime="09-09-2016">9 September 2016</time></li>
            <li>Second semester: <time datetime="15-01-2017">15 January 2017</time></li>
            <li>Third semester: <time datetime="02-05-2017">2 May 2017</time></li>  
        </ul>
        <p>Please let me know if this ok, and if so which start date you would prefer.</p>
        <p>You can find more information about <a href="https://example.com" title="table of important dates">important university dates</a> on our website.</p>
    </section>
    <section>
        <h2>Subjects of study</h2>
        <p>At the Awesome Science Faculty, we have a pretty open0minded research facility --- as long as the subjects fall
           somewhere in the realm of science and technology. You seem like an intelligent, dedicated reseacher, and just
           the kind of person wed like to have on our team. Saying that, of the ideas you submitted we were most intrigued
           by are as follows, in order of priority:
        </p>
        <ol>
            <li>Turning H<sub>2</sub>O into wine, and the health benefits of Resveratrol (C<sub>14</sub>H<sub>12</sub>O<sub>3</sub>).</li>
            <li>Measuring the effect on performance of funk bassplayers at temperatures exceeding 30<sup>o</sup>C(86<sup>o</sup>F),
                when the audience size exponentially increases( effect of 3 x 10<sup>3</sup>&lt;3 x 10<sup>4</sup></li>
            <li><abbr title="Hypertext Markup Langauge">HTML</abbr> and <abbr title="Cascading Stylesheets">CSS</abbr> constructs for representing musical scores.</li>    
        </ol>
        <p>So please can you provide more information on eaqch of these subjects, including how long youd expect the
            research to take, required staff and other resources, and anything else you think we'd need to know? Thanks.
        </p>
    </section>
    <section>
        <h2>Exoctic dance moves</h2>
        <p>Yes, you are right! As part of my post-doctorate work, I did study exotic tribal dances. To answer your question,
            my favourite dances are as follows, with definitions:
        </p>
        <dl>
            <dt>Polynesian chicken dance</dt>
            <dd>A little know but very influential dance dating back back as far as 300<abbr title="Before Christ">BC</abbr>,
            a whole village would dance around in a circle like chickens, to encourage their livestock or be "fruitful".</dd>
            <dt>Icelandic brownian shuffle</dt>
            <dd>Before the Icelanders developed fire as a means of getting warm, they used to practice this dance, which
                involved huddling close together in a circle on the floor, and shiffling their bodies arouund in inperceptable
                tiny, very rapid movements. One of my fellow students used to say that he thought this dance inspired 
                modern style such as Twerking.
            </dd>
            <dt>Arctic robot dance</dt>
            <dd>An interesting example of historic misinformation, English explorers in the 1960s beilieved to have
                discovered a new dance style characterised by "robotic", stilteed movements, being practise by inhabitants
                of North Alaska and Canada. Later on however it was sicovered htat they were just moving like this
                beacuse they were really cold.
            </dd>
        </dl>
        <p>For more of my reaseach, see my <a href="#" title="exotic-dance-research-page">exotic dance research page.</a></p>
    </section>
    </main>
    <footer>
        <p>Yours sincerely,</p>
        <p>Dr Eleanor Gaye</p>
        <p>University of Aweomse motto: <q cite="https://mygeekwisdom.com/2011/09/12/be-excellent-to-each-other/">Be excellent to each other</q> --<cite>Bill S Preston</cite>, <abbr title="Esquire">Esq</abbr></p>
    </footer>
</body>
</html>

Can someone check this code? I made no changes to the CSS of the document.
Also, I wanted to know how to datetime attribute in tag. Is it possible to use any date format? For ex:

<time datetime="05-04-2016">05 April 2016</time>

I used DD/MM/YYYY instead of the MM/DD/YYYY as given in the examples.

Hi @abhinavJ462, thanks for sending your code in, but could you please put it in an online editor like CodePen, or Glitch, and then send me the link to it? It is a lot easier for me to check.

For the date format, it has to be in an ISO standard form; see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/time#Usage_notes

Hi @chrisdavidmills, thanks for reply. I am unable to put the images in my document on Codepen . Still here is the link to the pen.
https://codepen.io/abhinavJ462/pen/rNVLwza
The images in the FAVOURITE PHOTOS section works as a link without errors.

This is how the website looks like with the images.
I hope it makes easier for you to assess.

Thanks @abhinavJ462, this is perfect.

I’ve looked over your code and web site example, and I am pleased to say that you’ve done a really good job here - congratulations on some great work!