Can *Anyone* release extensions right now? To me, it looks like addons.mozilla.org is critically broken

@caitlin Given that the review backup seems to be persisting and that many folks are asking about it, do you think Mozilla might be able to give an update on the blog or something? I think answers - even unpleasant ones - might help with folks that are on edge now. It’s a bit tough when something unknown and out of our control is causing weeks-long delays. And as always, thank you for responding to developers here.

5 Likes

@zephyr hear hear. This is exactly my point, and the point I tried to raise in Matrix too. We’re all sitting around thinking of all the reasons that this review slowdown might be occurring and every reason I personally can think of sounds dire.

1 Like

Hi @zephyr, unfortunately we don’t have a lot more we can share at the moment. However, I’ll talk to the team and see if there are any updates for next week.

Thanks @caitlin! Until then, I’ll just keep assuming that there’s been a zombie apocalypse. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi @caitlin.

unfortunately we don’t have a lot more we can share at the moment

Nothing has been shared so far. We still don’t know why this has happened, and what we can do to avoid it happening in the future. If you can’t answer these questions then please get someone who can to login and contribute to this post.

4 Likes

Mentioned in ublock release notes: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.38.0

No stable release will occur until dev build is no longer stalled

Apparently a certificate / signing problem at mozilla at the moment.

Maybe related: Could not update an old nightly build. Had to download and reinstall and only then received updates again.

1 Like

Are you kidding me? uBlock Origin. They couldn’t find the time to approve and let Raymond release uBlock. Maybe the most valuable extension in any existing browser ecosystem. The only extensions that clearly deserves to be considered “recommended” to every single Firefox user. uBlock Origin.

I shouldn’t be surprised. I had to go to Matrix and beg. Outrageous.

So @caitlin any news from the Mozilla team on this front this week?

1 Like

Hello. For me it’s been 8 versions and 3 months, and still no progress.

2 Likes

Come on, Mozilla! This issue must be dealt with ASAP.

1 Like

ive been awaiting a review of my unlisted extension since 9th september, what is going on? no official communication from Mozilla whatsoever.

Is mozilla about to go down the tubes into bankruptcy?

2 Likes

@caitlin this is what I’m talking about, people are getting scared. If I woke up tomorrow and addons.mozilla.org was completely shut down I would be heartbroken but totally unsurprised.

1 Like

In the absence of any information or communication from Mozilla, I’m just going to continue to release normally until whatever is going on is resolved. Could someone at least update the text of the email, though? It’s pretty insensitive to keep telling people it’s going to be “a few hours” or a “couple of days” when it obviously won’t be.

• 9/26/21

Hello, Thank you for submitting your add-on I2P In Private Browsing 0.113 to addons.mozilla.org. Your submission is taking longer than usual to be reviewed and signed. This process could take a few extra hours and up to a couple of days.

• 10/1/21

Thank you for submitting your add-on I2P In Private Browsing 0.115 to addons.mozilla.org. Your submission is taking longer than usual to be reviewed and signed. This process could take a few extra hours and up to a couple of days.

• 10/4/21

Thank you for submitting your add-on I2P In Private Browsing 0.117 to addons.mozilla.org. Your submission is taking longer than usual to be reviewed and signed. This process could take a few extra hours and up to a couple of days.

Seriously, it’s squandering the (remaining)trust people have in Mozilla to mislead people in this way. Just say it’s going to be 2 months so people can adjust.

i wonder if the problems are related to manifest v3

@idk,
it looks like they have updated the text to say it may take 3 to 4 weeks

1 Like

Possibly. It could also be those jokers that are spamming extensions that pin specific websites or add shortcuts deliberately clogging up review queues in order to escalate to harmful behavior during an update, or a talent shortage, or a problem with the signing certificate itself or any number of completely nightmarish scenarios. No meaningful or honest communication on why has occurred from Mozilla yet.

Edit: Oh good they updated it to say 3-4 weeks. They’ve successfully communicated honestly once.

Edit: “It could also be those jokers that are spamming extensions that pin specific websites or add shortcuts.” - * Add-ons that serve the sole purpose of promoting, installing, loading or launching another website, application or add-on are no longer permitted to be listed on addons.mozilla.org . Add-ons Policy Changes 2021 I think I guessed part of this right. More importantly, they’re talking about it now.

Mozilla got back to me on my extension today - it was rejected and had the following helpful workaround:

We experienced an issue that significantly delayed the review of add-ons using the proxy API permission. This issue has been resolved for add-ons targeting Firefox 91.1 and above.

We apologize for the long delays you may have experienced in the queue. As we are now able to more quickly review add-on versions targeting Firefox 91.1 and above, please update the browser_specifics_settings key of your extension’s manifest.json with the following and submit a new version:

"browser_specific_settings": {
  "gecko": {
    "strict_min_version": "91.1.0"
  }
}

See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/browser_specific_settings for more information about this key.

Thank you for developing extensions for Firefox!

After adding this top-level key, I resubmitted and now it’s live! :partying_face:

1 Like

are they saying that the delays caused by the proxy settings in some extensions, are also affecting extensions that dont change the proxy settings? as my extension does not touch the proxy settings, and im still waiting for my extension to be reviewed since Sept 9th…

No meaningful or honest communication on why has occurred from Mozilla yet.

I got this message and am reasonably optimistic it will work for me as soon as I am back at my desk I’ll be trying it. I’m still a little wary after this episode, and most of my questions are still unanswered, but for now things do finally seem to begin to be improving for a few of us. Seems like there must be more than one issue if it’s affecting people who don’t touch the proxy permission though.