We submitted our add-on for preliminary review August 4th. It’s been 5+ weeks and we’re sitting at 69 in the queue. Given the changes in Firefox v41 releasing on (9/22), our users will be cut-off if our add-on is not reviewed by the add-on team very soon.
Obviously, we may also need to make changes to get approved in the review process. Looking at the past three weekly queue progress summaries, it appears that ~10 add-ons are being reviewed every week from the preliminary review queue; at that rate it seems extremely unlikely that we will be able to avoid orphaning our current users before 9/22. Based on the queue numbers, I don’t think we’re the only group in this situation. How are other folks preparing in terms of contingencies?
I know there are limited review resources, but is there an expectation that the rate at which add-ons are getting reviewed will increase in the next week? We’re just trying to figure out how to deal with this situation to minimize disruption for our users. Is there any chance of v41 release date moving back?
In addition, we have made significant updates to the client since the beginning of August, but have not updated the build in the queue for fear of losing our place in line. This is not an unusual situation for us, we frequently ship updates to our add-on monthly, and will not be able to maintain our Firefox extension support if we need to wait more than a month for those changes to reach our users. Sometimes when we are broken by unexpected changes, we need to ship updates in hours or cause significant disruption to our users. It would help a lot even if we knew that in order to get a build live by date x, we need to submit by date x-y (where y is days or ideally hours).
By contrast, our delay to ship our Chrome add-on is about 1 hour.
We want to support the Firefox platform, but are thinking now we may need to look to a more limited support model based on a bookmarklet to avoid the review queue.