Cannot copy responses from Network tab

Hi,

Let me explain the situation first.

I use APIs a lot, and I want to monitor the requests and responses of the website I’m working on. So I open Developer Tools, go to Network tab and make the request. They appear there on a list, which is alright and perfect. I can see their response status and if I click on them I can see the response in Response tab.

Now, if the response contained an error message (like the image attached) I can’t highlight the message and copy it to search for a solution, because all the line will be highlighted. I think it’s absolutely not necessary to display the results as a list, with select-able items.

I hope I could explain my problem.
Thanks.

Hello!

I think it’s absolutely not necessary to display the results as a list, with select-able items.

That’s up for debate. it’s a nice visual indication that you can then use your keyboard to navigate the tree. But I agree it’s hard to select thing, which is why we fixed the text selection on selected node in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1479365 (should be in Firefox 68, now DevEdition/Beta).

On release (now 67, but you can in 66 as well), you should be able to double click the value of a property. It’s not clear visually, but you then have an input, and you can do Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C to copy. Again, the styling is being fixed in Firefox 68.

You can also right-click the request and select Copy > Copy Response, which will give you the full JSON response (from which you can then extract the message).

Good news is that in 68, a context menu was added to be able top copy a single property in the response tab.

If you can, I suggest to use Firefox Beta/DevEdition so you get all those nice fixes :slight_smile:

Awesome :slight_smile:
I’m going to give Beta version a try.
Thanks for the reply

We also have https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548060 open which would add a similar text focus mode like Chrome. Is that what you had in mind?