Energy telemetry and power management

Hello friends,

I’m subscribed to the Mozilla Developer news letter and saw the note about the IoT project back in mid February.

My main “things” interest is managing energy use - switching on load when the rooftop solar is producing power to match demand and also to store information about energy use by various appliances over time.

This first part should be easy enough - ask the gateway to turn circuits on and off according to a time based rule. The second I’m not so sure about. How would I get telemetry from my things and combine it into tables, charts or a web portal of my own design?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hello there!

I’ve never really worked with solar appliances, do you have any projects you can show me? I’d love to get my hands dirty with that!

Yeah, i agree that the first part is pretty easy and well, I feel that you would have no issues with the second as well. Web of Things API works with JSON, which will allow you to parse your data into tables, use it on a web page, well, however you want to. I hope I’m right about this, let me know if it works. :sweat_smile:

Warm Regards.

Alas no, I have no projects to show. I don’t have a huge amount of time for writing code, though I’ve been learning Django recently.

This is really where I get my inspiration from:

https://www.solaranalytics.com/au

You’re looking at about $A1000 to have someone come and install the monitor in your meter box. After that you pay a $70/year fee to have access to your web portal. You can monitor usage and generation and even calculate the size of battery your home/business might profit from installing.

So $1000 is a bit much, but I’m curious as to what a Raspi can do.

I’m working on a blog post that will showcase how you can put together a simple dashboard with graphs of data from the Web of Things API. Creating a service like Solar Analytics using a raspi should be trivial if we get everything right.

Great, look forward to reading it.

Hey @hobinjk Still working on that blog post? You’ll post it here right?

Yes, sorry for the delay! It’ll be posted at https://hacks.mozilla.org/category/web-of-things/. Right now I’m writing a piece about the ESP8266 but the next I’ll be working on is the dashboard/logging one. It will probably be published either May 3rd or 10th.

The most practical thing I’m thinking of is to deal with the septic system at our retreat centre. The centre has a large array of solar panels and the septic system basically runs 24/7, constantly pulling 4kW. While that might be ok if the facility was fully utilised, much of the time it’s just the caretakers doing maintenance and some of the monks (yes, I’m a monk) working in the office in the morning.

So what we’re thinking about is to have a simple way to control and monitor that individual device. So, a relay and arduino? Maybe, but then I got interested in Mozilla’s IoT project.

A simple prototype could be hacked together with a smart plug (the TP-Link WiFi Plug is easily available at the Australian big box store Office Works) and a Raspberry Pi. To start with it could be configured with some timing rules, but it would be great to have some feedback on energy usage.

Lately I’ve been learning Django, so what comes to mind is a microservice to keep track of kW/h used per interval. This same information can be obtained from the solar inverter to compare production and consumption of electricity, though at this time we’d have to use proprietary software and bluetooth to download the production numbers as a CSV file. That kind of sucks, but perhaps the makers of the inverters will come up with a better, more open way to access that data.

Solar Analytics makes all of this easy. A device sits in your meter box and measures grid imports/exports. You can also monitor individual circuits (such as our septic system) or hot-water systems (a battery itself really). Other devices include solar diversion - excess energy can be sent to an individual circuit, such as a hot-water system or your shiny new Tesla Model 3 (well, one can dream).

So these Things exist, connecting them to the open web is the trick.

Are any sensors or devices that could be used for this ? I have a small solar panel I could use as a proof of concept.

There are a few you can use, depending on the application you want to build. It’s certainly supposed to be a low-power since the solar panel is ‘small’

well I don’t have any precise application in mind, maybe just a “battery charger” thing that would be powered by tiny solar panel … then we can consider to build a BMS…

Do you have any sensor ?
I can try to add to
https://s-opensource.org/2018/04/25/mozilla-iot-generic-sensors/

Maybe I’ll order and try this one:

http://www.ti.com/product/INA219#