First WebExtension working local, signed OK but cannot install

Hello,

I just have finished my first extension. If I install it temporary for debugging purposes it works. After uploading to AMO (only for private use) and a few adjustments it was signed without any problems. Then I downloaded my extension and tried to install it in Firefox. But I always get the error message: “This addon could not be installed because it seems to be damaged” I dont’t know the exact wording, in German it is: “Dieses Add-on konnte nicht installiert werden, da es beschädigt zu sein scheint.”

I don’t understand why it is not working. Any help appreciated.

If more information is needed please ask me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,
Bjoern

It’s done :smile:

I had written by name in manifest.json with an Umlaut (ö). After changing to “oe” it is running.

Special characters should not be an issue if the file is saved as UTF-8.

I have the same problem: if I have German special characters in _locales/de/message.json I cannot load the temporary extension (I get an error “There was an error during installation: Extension is invalid”). When I remove those characters everything works file. what do you mean by saving it as UTF-8? Is there a way to make it work when I load a temporary extension for development?

There are multiple ways to represent characters in bits. These are the different character encodings a file can have. In web things that’s sometimes called “charset”. And one of those ways is called “UTF-8”. And for your extension to work properly you need to save the files using that encoding. How exactly you achieve that depends on your editor/IDE.

1 Like

Thank you so much… this was exactly the problem. Everything works fine now!

1 Like