FOSDEM 2019 - Call for Proposals

Hello, fellow Mozillians

This is the call for all Mozillians (volunteers & staff alike) to submit their talks for FOSDEM 2019.

It’s that time of the year again! The Call for Papers for Europe’s largest FLOSS event, FOSDEM, happening on February 2nd & 3rd 2018 in Brussels, is now officially open.

Just like previous years, Mozilla secured a Devroom for a full day and we would love to see and hear all your wonderful talks.

For those of you that have no idea what Fosdem is about, I strongly recommend you take a look at the website (www.fosdem.org). For those of you that (now) do, I have included in this message a list of topics that we are particularly keen to see in our room.

Developer rooms are assigned to self-organising groups to work together on open source projects and to discuss topics relevant to a broader subset of the community.

Proposals should not be limited to the list but those that are might stand a higher chance of getting accepted. In fact, we do encourage you to submit talks that are not on the list, you never know.

But please be aware that FOSDEM is a developer-oriented conference.

Essential info:

• CfP deadline: November 25th 2018 (acceptance/rejection notice by December 15th)
  • Duration: 30- or 60-minute talks (including Q&A) [We make ask you to shorten a talk from 60 to 30 minutes when we accept it]
  • Sponsorship available for contributors travelling from Europe (or from countries with a similar travel cost) (for staff please refer to corporate policy regarding travel and accommodations)

All talks will be streamed live, recorded and made available through the FOSDEM archives. By sending in your proposal you agree to these terms.

Note that recordings will be published under the same license as all other FOSDEM content (cc-by), however, exceptions can be requested.

To submit your proposal, visit :

https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM19 If you have previously submitted a proposal for FOSDEM, you will most likely already have a Pentabarf account. Please be considerate and try to recover your credentials if possible. If you have not, feel free to register a new account. Once you’re logged in, click “Create Event” in the menu and use that form to submit your proposal. Make sure to select the “Mozilla devroom” as track, otherwise, your talk will be rejected. Please include the following items:

• Title and subtitle of your talk
  • The duration (either 30 or 60 minutes)
  • An abstract of your presentation
  • A full description of your presentation
  • Any relevant links to websites, blogs, documentation, or other resources

Contributors selected for a talk may have their travel and accommodation sponsored. Due to this short deadline and a limited budget, only contributors travelling from Europe are eligible for this sponsorship (or travelling from countries where a similar travel price as for Europeans is achievable).

If you are travelling at your own expense, or require assistance in acquiring a visa, please contact me, @anthony, via email (available through Mozillians.org).

If you want to talk about something that is currently restricted to employees or to people with NDA, but won’t be by the time the conference starts, please get in touch with me (do not submit anything NDA only on Pentabarf!)

Best of luck to all of you!

Kind regards

List of preferred topics:

• Privacy tools
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Common Voice project (or other Voice projects)
  • WebVR
  • WebCompat
  • Browser add-ons and the WebExtensions API
  • Firefox for Android / iOS
  • HTML5 games
  • Security and usability
  • Firefox
  • MDN Web Docs
  • Internet of Things (Project Things)
  • Release Engineering tooling and procedures

Community Participation Guidelines

The Mozilla devroom respects Mozilla’s community participation guidelines along with the FOSDEM Code of Conduct. These guidelines cover our behaviour as participants, facilitators, space wranglers, staff, volunteers, vendors, and anyone else involved in making the Mozilla devroom possible.

4 Likes

When I went at mozillians I got “Oh non ! Cette page n’existe pas !” This link didn’t work “https://mozillians.org/fr/u/maitre.negi/

Hello, where did you get that link ? This is not anywhere on this post https://mozillians.org/u/anthony/ is my Mozillians handle.

1 Like

Thanks for stepping up to help run this room once again @anthony. I’ve added this to the UK Community Calendar, and added the speaking tag to this post. Is there a precise cut-off time?

1 Like

Thanks for messaging elsewhere @anthony to clarify this for me. I have edited the UK Community Calendar entry to an applications cut off of 23:59 PST on November 25. (AKA November 26 @ 07:59 UTC)

:grin: :+1:

1 Like

Hurry up ! Anyone from #iot to apply ? let me know

Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce that we are extending our Call for Proposals for FOSDEM 2019 until the 8th of December 23h59 UTC.

We hope to see many of you proposing a talk :slight_smile:
If you have any questions or if you are looking to get a feedback on your proposal, please get in touch with me and I will be happy to help you or introduce you to someone that can.

2 Likes

Just submitted my proposal. Good luck to other Mozillians that submitted a proposal.

R.S

2 Likes

Until mozilla’s room events are published you can check the program (702 talks!) at:

https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/events/