FOSDEM 2020 - Call for Proposals

Mozilla devroom: Call for papers

Hello fellow Mozillians,

It’s that time of the year again! The Call for Papers for Europe’s largest FLOSS event, FOSDEM, happening on February 1st & 2nd 2020 in Brussels is now officially open.

Just like for the past 15+ years, Mozilla is going to host a Developer room at FOSDEM 2020 for a full day and we would love to see and hear all your wonderful talks.

For those of you that have no idea what FOSDEM is about, I recommend taking a look at their website (https://fosdem.org)

Developer rooms are assigned to self-organising groups to work together on open source projects and to discuss topics relevant to a broader subset of the community.

Proposals should not be limited to the list but those that are stand a higher chance of getting accepted. However, we do encourage you to submit talks on subjects that are not on the list, some of our best talks were on subject we did not expect at all.

However, please keep in mind, that the public at FOSDEM is quite technical and knowledgeable about open-source in general.

If you want any help or feedback to write your proposal, please get in touch with me and I am happy to but you in relation with someone that can help you to perfect your proposal or give you a useful feedback.

The list of preferred topics is the following:

• Web Technologies: HTML, CSS & Layouts
  • WebVR
  • WebAssembly
  • MDN Web Docs
  • Firefox Developer Tools
  • Privacy & Security
  • Performance
  • Network on Web browsers
  • MOSS
  • Diversity & Inclusion

Essential infos:

• Submit your proposal at https://mozdem-cfp-app.herokuapp.com/events/mozdem_2020.
  • Talk proposals deadline: 15th November at midnight (anywhere in the world).
  • Acceptance/rejection notice: At the latest for the 7th of December.
  • Duration: 30 to 45 minutes talks (including questions) would be preferred, anything shorter than 30 minutes will be automatically rejected, anything over 45 minutes and we might ask you to shorten it to fit in the 45 minutes time frame.
  • Travel sponsorship for non-staff is based on location, we will cover travel for people based in Europe, flying from and to Europe or coming directly from the Mozilla All Hands organized in Berlin the week before.
  • We are not using Pentabarf for talk submission this year, do not submit talk on Pentabarf
  • If you encounter any issues with the proposal tool, please get in touch with me!

Community Participation Guidelines

The Mozilla devroom respects Mozilla’s community participation guidelines along with the FOSDEM Code of Conduct. These guidelines cover our behaviour as participants, facilitators, space wranglers, staff, volunteers, vendors, and anyone else involved in making the Mozilla devroom possible.

2 Likes

Do you know already if we’re on on Saturday or Sunday? All-Hands Berlin are the week right before.

The temporary allocation says Sunday.

Would be interested in joining if i am allowed, sent you guys an email yesterday

Hello everyone,

Thanks to better planning this year, we have 2 extra week of time for people that would like to propose a talk to our CFP.

If you were late or forgot about us now is your chance! If you are not sure it would be “good enough” or if it’s your first time, please propose anyway and shout me an email, we can provide assistance to write or fine-tune your proposal.

1 Like