FOSDEM 2022 - Call for Proposals/Talks

Hello fellow Mozillians,

It’s that time of the year again! The Call for Presentations for Europe’s largest FLOSS event, FOSDEM, happening on February 5th & 6th 2022 is now officially open. To learn more about FOSDEM, head over to https://fosdem.org .

FOSDEM 2022 will be held virtually, so talks can be given from anywhere in the world as they will be pre-recorded. Keep in mind though that you will need to be live at the Questions & Answer session and the network and setup test an hour before that! The Mozilla devroom will happen on the 5th of February (Saturday).

Just like for the past 20 years, Mozilla is going to host a Developer room at FOSDEM 2022 and we would love to see and hear all your wonderful talks. Developer rooms are assigned to self-organising groups to work together on open source projects and to discuss topics relevant to a broader subset of the community.

We have a list of suggested topics that we would like to hear from this year, but we encourage you to propose talks on other subjects if you believe they would be a good fit. Some of our best talks were on topics we didn’t think about.

• Web Technologies: HTML, CSS & Layouts
  • MDN Web Docs
  • Firefox Developer Tools
  • Firefox in General
  • Privacy & Security
  • Performance
  • Network on Web browsers
  • Diversity & Inclusion
  • Thunderbird
  • SUMO
  • QA
  • Web Compatibility

One first tip for applying is to keep in mind that the public at FOSDEM is quite technical and knowledgeable about open-source in general. If you want any help or feedback to write your proposal, please get in touch with me.

Submit your proposal

• Submit your proposal on Pentabarf (https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM22 ), you can find a tutorial about how to use Pentabarf, courtesy of the wonderful folks at the Go Devroom, at https://eyskens.me/beginners-guide-to-pentabarf/. Note that the guide currently still uses 2021 in the submission link. Please use the submission link mentioned in this bullet point.
  • Talk proposals deadline: 19th of December at midnight (anywhere in the world).
  • Acceptance/rejection notice: At the latest for the 31st of December.
  • Duration: 15 to 45 minutes talks (including questions) would be preferred, anything over 45 minutes and we might ask you to shorten it to fit in the 45 minutes time frame depending on how many submissions we get.
  • As it will be held virtually there is more preparation needed. You need to be able to pre-record (which implies to have appropriate equipment to do so) your talk till the 17th of January and be available on the 5th of February at the time of your talk broadcast to answer questions.
  • If you encounter any issues with the proposal tool, please get in touch with me!

Community Participation Guidelines

The Mozilla devroom respects Mozilla’s community participation guidelines along with the FOSDEM Code of Conduct. These guidelines cover our behaviour as participants, facilitators, space wranglers, staff, volunteers, vendors, and anyone else involved in making the Mozilla devroom possible.

Looking forward to your proposals. Get in touch with me if you have any questions!
Michael

(Thanks to Anthony for allowing me to steal last year’s message as a base for this one)

3 Likes

Quick reminder that the CfP will end on Sunday, December 19th! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to me!

2 Likes

To make sure everyone who is not spot-on with deadlines can submit their proposal, I’m extending the deadline to Monday, December 20th 2021, 23:00 UTC. Get your last minute proposals in! :slight_smile:

2 Likes