FVD Speed Dial "killed" by Mozilla

Mozilla just blocked the ‘FVD Speed Dial’ extension today. They claim compromised security and performance. I tried to reactivate via the command ‘about:config … xpinstall …’ but it didn’t work, Firefox doesn’t give me the option to reactivate the FVD. I use this same extension in Opera importing extensions from Chrome, and I also use it in Edge. NEVER compromised my security, NEVER compromised the browsing performance in either of them or in Firefox. I’ve been using the Firefox browser for over a decade, if Mozilla won’t allow me to use the FVD Speed Dial normally without its “****” about performance and security, well, I’ll just say goodbye to Firefox and stick with the others. I don’t want alternative extensions, I want to use FVD Speed Dial which is the best.

3 Likes

hey there :slight_smile: i also usedFVD Speed Dial and now all of my bookmarks are gone!!! Do you know how i can get them back using another browser?

1 Like

Do you know where FVD Speed Dial saves the settings? Now, when it is blocked i cant use ist to copy my dials/settings for using them in maybe chrome. Its time to deinstall firefox.
Thanks in forehand
andi

1 Like

i use it since 8 years and now i lost all my favorite sites , come on guys :frowning:

This is disastrous - I am sure users worldwide are very unsettled by this - I used FVD in my daily workflow for YEARS - did Mozilla contact Nimbusweb from the get go to communicate issues ??? - this is affecting LOTS of USERS

1 Like

OK - did read this 'This add-on violates Mozilla’s policies as search functionality provided or loaded by the add-on must not collect search terms or intercept searches that are going to a third-party search provider. The add-on has repeatedly violated these terms despite Mozilla explicitly pointing them out."
So I guess FVD has been notified - and NIMBUS WEB - get this fixed - privacy issues do matter

1 Like

In 2020, we became aware that the developer of the FVD add-on had begun intercepting search queries that were being sent to a third-party search provider, in clear violation of the Mozilla Add-ons Policies. After a repeated violation we again explicitly told them under which circumstances this type of data collection is not acceptable. At the time, the developer disabled the feature, and we continued to host FVD Speed Dial.

Recently we have become aware that the developer has re-enabled the offending functionality, which remains in violation of AMO policy. In light of these repeated offenses, we have blocked this addon.

While we regret the impact that this has had on some of our users, we believe that our commitments to user safety and the importance of user trust in Firefox and its surrounding ecosystem have obligated us to take this action, and we stand by this decision.

• Mike Hoye on behalf of the AMO team.