Going to yallhands? (a completely unofficial, but hopefully helpful, topic for Austin All Hands)

Hi

So you are going to your first All Hands? Great, glad to hear it!

Someone at Mozilla believes that you are someone who can or will make a high impact contribution and are committed to your team or project (and who have future potential) and have a high commitment to specific projects or teams at Mozilla. That is very awesome but is also a massive responsibility. You are not only going for “you”, but also as a representative of all many contributors who are unfortunately not going to be there.

You are going to get the chance to meet and work with Mozillians from across the organisation. Those people you have seen in videos on Air Mozilla, or in entries in Planet Mozilla - they are just as awesome in real life. Those pictures from past All Hands of Mozillians, being really awesome, doing awesome stuff, somewhere awesome - that is going to be you.

I have been amazingly fortunate to be invited to All Hands in the past, and I can remember how daunting and a little scary it can be to be going to such an event for the first time. They are very hard work, but also a great way to gain a more rounded understanding of Mozilla and how you help build and support the open web. It was, and still is, one of the biggest things I have ever been part of so I can understand if you are a little nervous.

So I have an offer for you…

I am sure you will have plenty of people you can ask questions of, but if there is anything that feels almost too small to ask but is bugging you, if it is something really crazy that you cannot see the answer to anywhere else - please ask! Drop me a private message through Discourse, post it here to share with others or catch me on IRC in #yallhands, I do not mind.

I have been very fortunate to have been to an All Hands and have come back the better for it, and it really would be a huge privilege to help you have the same experience.

Safe travels.

(and, yes, the IRC channel is #yallhands. :wink: )

5 Likes