Thermostats & Locks

I just tried to add a Kwikset 910 Z-Wave Plus compatible lock to my Webthings Gateway. I’m using a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 and I could not get it to see the Kwikset lock.

Kwikset’s included instructions are useless but after some googling found actual troubleshooting guides on their website. They said that during pairing the lock has to be within 12 inches of the gateway. They recommended dismantling the lock and taking it to your gateway. I wasn’t about to do that so I got a long Ethernet cable and brought the gateway to the lock. Unfortunately they still wouldn’t see each other.

I was reading up on the Z-Stick to ensure it was compatible with the lock and came across the part where it has a battery and can be put into pairing mode using the button while unplugged. I decided to give this a try so I unplugged the Z-Stick, pushed the button and it paired with the lock on the first try! When I plugged it back into the Webthings Gateway and clicked the add button it immediately showed the lock as an addable thing.

Unfortunately once the lock was added it showed the State wrong, unlocked when the lock was actually locked. Unlocking the lock via the Gateway did nothing, but locking it resulted in the Webthings Gateway reporting the state as “jammed” but nothing happened with the lock itself.

AIUI, the 1 foot low power pairing is required as a part of the latest Z-Wave protocol for security devices. I don’t recall how I got pairing to work, but ended up in the same place. The Gateway shows the lock, but the lock doesn’t respond to commands and reports a status of jammed.

Hi there,

I very much like the idea to use Mozilla IoT for regulating my radiators when I am not at home and if possible also with some input from thermostats and weather information.
For some time now I have been following the project and looking whether there would be any support for thermostatic radiator valves. I do live in a rented property and cannot easily change a major thermostat and additionally it also feels less invasive and saver not to manipulate the central heating device.
My question is therefore: Is there any support for thermostatic radiator valves and if so which models are currently supported.

Many thanks for your help!
Joe

I’ve attached logs below showing basically the same results as @ wrldtvlr.

FWIW I also tried HomeAssistant and OpenHab and they can see the lock but are unable to control it or correctly report it’s lock status.

2020-10-27 08:15:06.033 INFO   : DeviceProxy: requestAction: unlock for: zwave-d4bfdd89-11
2020-10-27 08:15:06.041 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 Performing action 'unlock'
2020-10-27 08:15:06.044 INFO   : zwave-adapter: setProperty property: _lockedInternal for: zwave-d4bfdd89-11-DoorLock valueId: 11-98-1-0 value: false
2020-10-27 08:15:06.045 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 setPropertyValue: locked = unknown
2020-10-27 08:15:16.043 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11: timeout
2020-10-27 08:15:16.045 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 setPropertyValue: locked = jammed
2020-10-27 08:15:17.442 INFO   : DeviceProxy: requestAction: unlock for: zwave-d4bfdd89-11
2020-10-27 08:15:17.447 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 Performing action 'unlock'
2020-10-27 08:15:17.449 INFO   : zwave-adapter: setProperty property: _lockedInternal for: zwave-d4bfdd89-11-DoorLock valueId: 11-98-1-0 value: false
2020-10-27 08:15:17.455 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 setPropertyValue: locked = unknown
2020-10-27 08:15:26.045 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11: timeout
2020-10-27 08:15:27.452 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 setPropertyValue: locked = jammed
2020-10-27 08:15:36.047 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11: timeout
2020-10-27 08:15:36.587 INFO   : DeviceProxy: requestAction: unlock for: zwave-d4bfdd89-11
2020-10-27 08:15:36.592 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 Performing action 'unlock'
2020-10-27 08:15:36.594 INFO   : zwave-adapter: setProperty property: _lockedInternal for: zwave-d4bfdd89-11-DoorLock valueId: 11-98-1-0 value: false
2020-10-27 08:15:36.599 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 setPropertyValue: locked = unknown
2020-10-27 08:15:46.048 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11: timeout
2020-10-27 08:15:46.597 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11 setPropertyValue: locked = jammed
2020-10-27 08:16:00.302 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11: timeout
2020-10-27 08:16:10.303 INFO   : zwave-adapter: node11: timeout

Hello guys, is there any new regarding smart radiator valves. Here in Europe this is the way you usually control your heating and there is rarely any central thermostat installed especially in older rented flats. I would very much appreciate if I could get to know about which devices (smart radiator valves) are supported and I could also imagine that this could boost the popularity and usefulness of WebThings :slightly_smiling_face: !
Cheers
J

I now found a bluetooth operated eQ-3 Thermostat and it appears to be supported by the openHAB community. I wodnered if it would also be usable under webthings.io / mozilla IoT?

There seems to be a shell script available, I just don#t know how to integrate it into webthings.
Is there anyone who could help me with that?

I was reading up on the Aeotec adapters and noted that my adapter only supports S0 security but the newer adapters support S2. Could the issues we’re experiencing with Locks be related to the security level support?

Is there something I can do to test this theory?

ive been having the same issue with the same lock. Did you get the openzwave directories thing? i havent been able to figure ou how to doqw it. for some reason i cant clone it from the command line. says git is an invalid command. Im hoping thats my problem, might be yours too. Im totally new at this so excuse my lack of technical knowleddge and proper jargon

I haven’t tried the openzwave software you mentioned, but I tried HomeAssistant and OpenHab. I got the same results so I’m tending to think it’s related to needing S2 support in the USB Adapter.

Aeotec has a Gen 5+ adapter they released that supports it and also a Gen 7 adapter in beta. I’m probably going to wait until the Gen 7 adapter is available for purchase in the US again and upgrade.

It looks like a lot of new devices use Zwave Gen 7 so I’d hate to upgrade to the Gen 5+ and then have to do it all over again.

i really hope thats not the problem cause i just got the gen 5 and really dont want to have to replace somethng thats brand new

I did the openzware. Still nothing on the lock. It’s there but it does t lock or I lock or show me anything else.

Did you set up a network key? From my research it seems the lock requires the network key to communicate securely but other devices like a light switch won’t. I never set up a network key and have no idea how to do it

Yesterday I unpaired the lock from the Gateway, added a Network Key and then tried to re-pair. Like I had experienced before, the Gateway can’t pair with the door lock unless it’s in close proximity. I unplugged the Aeotec adapter and took it over to the lock, and it paired immediately. Upon plugging the adapter back into the Gateway it was able to add the Lock.

Unfortunately the behavior is exactly the same as before, with the Lock reporting as jammed.

I’m going to try removing the Lock and then moving the Gateway to close proximity with the Lock and re-pair while the adapter is plugged into the Gateway. I thought I had tried that before and had issues pairing but I’ll give it another go.

Same thing happened to me. I’m going to do the same. I believe the instructions from kwickset say to remove the lock and to have it unlocked. That maybe part of it. It’s reading unlocked when it’s locked and it’s returning jammed because it can’t move it.

Something else to try if you haven’t yet is to check that the specific lock is in the zwave database correctly. There’s an XML file with all the device codes in it, called manufacturer_specific.xml or something like that. The manufacturer provides the data for that file and a filename of their own xml file for the device.

I tried unsuccessfully to get my Kwikset lock to work with Webthings, which is using OpenZwave 1.6. I setup an instant of Home Assistant using Z-Wave JS and it detected the lock and can control it without issue.

From reading up on HA’s reason for switching from OpenZwave to Z-Wave JS, it seems that OpenZwave is written in C++ and no one wants to work on it. The primary contributor stepped away from the project for a bit putting it on life support. Z-Wave JS on the other hand is written in JS and has a good documentation and a lot of community support.

Honestly it seems like Z-Wave JS would be a really good fit for WebThings but it also feels like perhaps WebThings is on life support at the moment. Which is really disappointing because HA is a hot mess in terms of usability and setup.

Yes, it does seem like WebThings is on life support. I have contributed to the project a bit, so I like to feel I’m helping in a small way to keep the heart beating. I am glad you said that about HA, because I’ve considered switching to it. It’s interesting to know about Z-Wave JS. Do you have a link so I can look into that and see what it might take to integrate it into WebThings? JavaScript does seem to be the way of the world.

Here’s the official Z-Wave JS Documentation and Project:

https://zwave-js.github.io/node-zwave-js/#/

IMO it’s exceptionally well document as far as open source projects go.

Paulus from HomeAssistant contacted me back in January to recommend switching from openzwave to Z-Wave JS. Michael Stegeman (WebThings emeritus module owner) agreed that it looked promising and would save us a lot of headaches.

The WebThings Z-Wave adapter module is currently lacking an owner, but Dave Hylands (the previous module owner) has offered to provide code reviews if anyone wants to work on it.

Alternatively if anyone wants to try creating a replacement Z-Wave adapter in JavaScript then we could consider switching to it as the default once it becomes more mature.

Regarding WebThings being on “life support”, please see this post regarding the future of the project.

1 Like