"web-ext sign" started failing (timing out?) since May 2nd

Hi,

We’re developing a Firefox extension as part of our product, as part of our build process, we build the extension.XPI and sign it using “web-ext sign”.
It worked perfectly until May 2nd, and has been failing ever since - with no changes whatsoever to the extension.
The failure is:
[17:21:34] Error: Validation took too long to complete; last status: {“guid”:“SteelCentral-Aternity-WebExt-12.1.0@riverbed.com”,“active”:false,“automated_signing”:true,“url”:“https://addons.mozilla.org/api/v3/addons//versions//uploads//”,“files”:[],“passed_review”:false,“pk”:"",“processed”:true,“reviewed”:false,“valid”:true,“validation_results”:{“success”:true,“compatibility_summary”:{“warnings”:0,“errors”:0,“notices”:0},“notices”:0,“warnings”:…
at Timeout._onTimeout (C:\dev\project\node_modules\sign-addon\dist\webpack:\src\amo-client.js:232:16)
at ontimeout (timers.js:475:11)
at tryOnTimeout (timers.js:310:5)
at Timer.listOnTimeout (timers.js:270:5)

Note that this is not a real timeout (I think), since we’ve tried with “–timeout” of even 2 minutes and the failure is identical, where the previous builds were completed in a matter of seconds.

I think signing is currently still disabled on AMO.

1 Like

Hi,

This is because of an ongoing issue that you can track at https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/

1 Like

Just confirmed that signing is still disabled on AMO due to some cleanup from the expired certificate issue @sylvaing mentioned . The team is working on a fix and hopefully we’ll be up and running soon. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thank you all for this great information, you saved me a lot of time :slight_smile:
I’ll stay tuned for updates in the blog!

1 Like

Hi Caitlin, is there a link where I can view the signing on AMO status?
Or should I just check in on the blog (although it currently doesn’t mention the signing at all)?

This has been updated both in the announcements section of this forum, as well as the “mozamo” Twitter. That signing was disabled was also mentioned in the incident blog post on blog.mozilla.org/addons.

Add-on signing is re-enabled, but they are throttling.

In our case we’re hitting throttles of up to 40 minutes.