Weekly Update: Happy Earth Day Common Voice Community! - events and oppurtunities

:earth_africa: :earth_americas: :earth_asia:

Happy Earth Day Common Voice Community!

Today I was inspired by a blog reflecting on the relationship between Indigenous language and biodiversity. I hope you enjoy reading the blog as much as I did. .

In this week’s update, I highlight; events happening across April and May, a reminder for Common Voice Language Reps Applications, and you can now rewatch the Community Funding Workshop.

:triangular_flag_on_post:

Reminder: Apply to be a Common Voice Language Rep - Deadline [Update] 13th May AOE.

Don’t miss out on this opportunity. You should consider applying if:

• Enjoy contributing to open source projects with social goals
  • Connected with Common Voice contributors and like to advocate for your’s and their language experience
  • Would like to learn from other language communities on Common Voice

Learn more about the role in this post and apply via this form.

:sparkles:

Next Community Workshop

This Thursday we hosted the community funding workshop you can now rewatch the video on AirMozilla please note that the captions will be updated - as you will know well Automatic Subtitles aren’t the best :(.

Our next workshop will be on: “How can we be informed by data feminist principles when organising to break the bias within Voice Technology?” taking place on 31st May to secure your spot please register via the zoom registration link.

:calendar:

Opportunities and events

Ethical Dilemma Cafe - April 26th and 27th

Are you in Manchester, the UK in May? We are taking part in the Mozfest Ethical Dilemma Cafe.

Register today and through emergent installations, talks and workshops over the 2 days we will build a highly connected cafe with elements of a future that might surprise, delight and change the way you think about the internet of today.

View the schedule here

Model Competition - 17th May

You are invited to attend our launch event on 17th May - where you can learn more about the competition and how you could win the cash prize.

Register to attend the event via the Mozilla Festival Plaza.

Hackathon in Mexico - 29th April to 3rd May

In collaboration with the Institutes of Mathematical & Anthropological Research at the Universidad Nacional AutĂłnoma de MĂ©xico we are hosting a Mexico Language Hackathon to explore how languages like Mixe, Chanto and more can be represented in voice technology. Learn more on our blog.

Kiswahili Writing Competition - Deadline 30th April

Kiswahili Community is running a Writing Competition to support their sentence collection efforts.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask and share !

All the best,

Hillary

2 Likes