Will 2FA be added to lockbox?

Will there be 2FA functionality coming to the lockbox app, or, as a best practice, in a separate Firefox/Mozilla app?

1 Like

Right now we have support for two-factor authentication for your Firefox Account to provide our users a second layer of security in access your FxA powered apps, including Lockbox.

We chose to implement this feature using the well-known authentication standard TOTP (Time-based One-Time Password). TOTP codes can be generated using a variety of authenticator applications. For example, Google Authenticator, Duo and Authy all support generating TOTP codes, which is discussed in greater detail in this blog post.

Being an authenticator isn’t an area we’re yet exploring with Lockbox. Our current roadmap prioritizes features that give people safe access to their saved passwords across multiple platforms.

Using 1Password at work and Lockbox privately, using my password manager as the authenticator is one of the things i miss the most in Firefox. (besides password generation)

Using TOTP codes from an authenticator is better than SMS-based 2FA, but you really need to add support for FIDO2.

These two features, once experienced, are so changing my perception of what a password manager is or is not. This is very important that they get added to Lockwise. I am looking at moving off of Lockwise onto BitWarden and even paying the $10/yr for BitWarden just to have the password generation and the authenticator. Kreegee was right, and the response of “why integrate” sounds a lot like why cameras are now part of your phone. Or GPS. And why Kodak or Garmin became road-kill in the consumer space.

Although I would prefer to pay Mozilla $10-$12/yr for these features, than someone else.

Sean.

1 Like