Developer Community: Kick off

Hello Everybody,

A quick intro to give you the immediate next steps and necessary information to follow up on the Developer Community Project.

Ali, Lucy, Gorge, Janet and I meet last week to start drafting goals, targets and value propositions for the project. I’m currently in the process of digging into the meeting notes to set up a first draft of a strategy plan I’ll share with you for review and comment before end of week. The goal of that document will be to get buy-in from our upper management and to define the various assumption we need to test to move forward.

Along to that specific short term deliverable, I end up setting a project infrastructure that will help us coordinate and discuss:

• Canonical place to go is on WikiMo (You’ll find links to our various document and the current status of the project.
  • For synchronous remote communication you’ll find me on Slack (quick answers only during CET work hours :wink:
  • For asynchronous communication, please use Discourse. I’ll post project updates and status report on that forum. If you want to be kept in touch please subscribe to it.
  • Daily tasks and deliverables are tracked on a dedicated Trello board if you want some fine grain update (or organized you’re own work around the project).

Last but not least, I set up a meeting every two weeks in my Vidyo room to discuss status and planning, the first meeting will occur February 16th, 2017 at 18:30 CET (17:30 UTC, 09:30 Pacific, 12:30 Eastern). It appears to be the best time to accommodate as much people as possible.

See you all very soon,

Jeremie

2 Likes

I don’t understand what is the idea of this project. It’s something like techspeakers but for people that contribute on mozilla projects as a volunteer or is an improvement of the ts program?

So I think that need to get in touch with https://wiki.mozilla.org/Webdev/GetInvolved that have a telegram group of mozilla contributors (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Telegram).
Also with Participation systems that now is doing this kind of things: https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/mozillians-org-frontend-triaging-mentored-bugs/13155

I saw also the etherpad and I think that every open source projects has a group or section that promote how to contribute on that as developer. So now I was trying to understand if also meetups are something to investigate or mozilla is investigating about only on program about contributing or promoting mozilla projects in a different way.

PS: I didn’t know that there was a slack channel for Mozilla and I don’t know if volunteers can have access to that.

Hi Daniel!

I understand this needs some clarification :slight_smile:

The goal of this project is to reach out to developers that are NOT Mozilla developers or contributors (or not only) and see how we can support them as soon as they share the same kind of values as Mozilla. This came from some research made by the Dev Marketing teams where we discovered that Developers more aware of Mozilla are more likely to promote us and to use our products. Therefor we want to create a relationship between Mozilla and those developers in order to push our agenda for the web and the values of our manifesto.

But to be perfectly transparent we are at the very beginning of the project and we are still narrowing down its shape.

Strictly speaking the spirit of this project is closer than the MOSS program than any direct contributors engagement.

Absolutely but this project don’t intent to turn third party developers into Mozilla contributors (even if it would be a very nice side effect). As you pointed out there are other team at Mozilla dedicated to that topic. IMO it would be nice to create bridges between such projects but it’s bit to early to have a definitive answer in that area. The first step is to clarify the scope of that project (more about this very soon).

Yes, you are right. Among the various research made by the Dev Marketing team is the rise of the Google Developer Groups ecosystem. We feel like we should also investigate that area… which is one of the assumption we want to test in the next weeks.

Well, I discovered it by chance and I’m trying it to see if it’s worth it. Any feedback in that area is welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love you like to spend more time and research about GDG ecosystem.

I was thinking what if we have similar for Mozilla communities, it will give more reach and usage of product / technology .

So developers that are fan of Mozilla Manifesto and projects but that not contribute on them.

Yep this explain so it’s more a promotion to technical people about the mozilla manifesto and philosophy/activities.

So if this is the case I think that the right place are Mozilla Campus Club (they share not only mozilla stuff but open source stuff).
IF we are talking about developers I think that we need to look on meetups but also projects that promote our philosophy like: Wikipedia (for changecopyright). The Document Foundation for standards and so on.
In our little in Italy we are starting to evaluating cooperation between them :slight_smile:

I would love to hear about any results in that area when you’ll get some :wink:

Just as a note, if you want to attract existing Free and Open Source developers, it’s probably better to try and use an FLOSS communication channel such as Matrix/Riot or Freenode IRC than a proprietary walled garden like Slack. If you want to attract startup developers, Slack is probably fine. :wink:

1 Like

Excellent point! I’ll keep that on mind. Thanks :slight_smile:

Probably worth mentioning & looking into:

• Rails Girls and Ruby community (similar to PyLadies), very active in Germany
  • Open Tech School (similar to NodeSchool) esp. active in Germany & german-speaking communities

I’ve also added those to the lists in the etherpad

For the Berlin Ruby community, please feel free to contact Ruby Berlin e.V. and the Travis Foundation. Please note as a little pit to fall in: “Rails Girls Berlin” is a Ruby Berlin e.V. project, “Rails Girls Summer of Code” the Travis Foundation.

Both can give you an ample amount of projects and leads to talk to.