New interface looks awful on Black themes

If I wanted my active tab to be gray, I would have chosen a gray theme. Now every existing theme that uses a black background is now 90% gray with white text, and barely readable. Only the unused tabs at the top are actually black. This needs to be fixed.

2 Likes

I have had several reviews on my Black theme that said the same thing. One reviewer tole me it wasn’t black it was gray!

I agree. I’ve submitted a theme and the tab background color turns out to be just a small bar on top of the tab. The whole toolbar is always some transparent version and it’s really restrictive. Why can’t we set a non transparent color?

Hi there,

My name is Philip, I’m a Senior Visual Designer working on Add-ons. I reached out to one of our designers who helped build Photon (our new visual design language for Firefox) and here’s what he said:

“There is a translucent overlay on background images to help keep some distinction between foreground and background. The problem is that we can’t know intent with themes because it’s just a background image.”

One of our designers is working on a theming extension that will allow more fine-grained control of how your browser looks (watch for that to be launched in Test Pilot in the coming months), but for now the active tab will have that overlay.

Thanks for reaching out,
Philip