Weekly Call 07-07-2016

When

• Thursday July 7th, 16:00 UTC

Agenda

• Check the agenda and please add your own topics as well if you have something to share with us.

AirMozilla video

Weekly call details:

Topics

1. Contributor Research - Rina Jensen
  2. Review Team - @couci
  3. Events - @franc
  4. Council updates - @mkohler

And your topic! - feel free to add it on etherpad

PS: As always we encourage you to add some shout outs! We have amazing reps doing amazing work! Let’s send them some #mozlove!

Raw notes can be found here.

Attendees:

1. Hi, my name is Emin Mastizada, and I am from Azerbaijan. My last contribution as a volunteer was SUMO forum and L10n
  2. Hi, my name is Monica Bonilla, and I’m from Bogota, Colombia. My last contribution as a volunteer was Mozilla Nativo community, l10n in native languages of latinamerica
  3. Hi, my name is Vishal Chavan and I’m from Nashik, India. My last contribution as a volunteer was in the Take Back The Web Campaign as a Coach.
  4. Hi, Konstantina from Greece. My last contribution is building this call with Ioana :slight_smile:
  5. Hi I’m Michael from Switzerland. My last contribution as a volunteer was to catch up on my Council work after our Council meeting yesterday.
  6. Hi, my name is Prathamesh Chavan and I am from Pune, India. My last contribution as a volunteer was L10n and Mozilla Learning Network (MLN).
  7. Hi my name is Geraldo Barros, and I am from Brazil My last contribution as a volunteer was Army of Awesome by Mozilla Support.
  8. Hi, my name is KaiRo, and I am from Austria. My last contribution as a volunteer was reviewing German Firefox/Thunderbird 48 L10n, and updating some scripts I made when I was staff.
  9. Hi, my name is Francisco, and I’m from Spain. My last contribution as a volunteer was today, checking discourse, starting to organize an event in Spain, etc.
  10. Hi my name is Lucy and my last contribution was wrapping up the TBTW campaign! :slight_smile:
  11. Hi my name is Irvin and my last contribution was organize and share our local useful files to community space group
  12. Hi, my name is Jobava and my last contribution as a volunteer was: SUMO and L10n.
  13. Hi, I am Ikram and I am from Dhaka. My last contribution was doing some Bug’s Verification.
  14. Hi I am Viswaprasath, and my last contribution as a Volunteer is code contribution to web-ext
  15. Hi, my name is Gašper, I’m from beautiful city Ljubljana, Slovenia. My last contribution is the best L10n Hackathon - in progress, we start tomorrow :slight_smile:
  16. Hi my name is Mrinal . I’m from Indore India , My last contribution as a volunteer was to organise a community gathering for FSA’s from Mumbai
  17. Hi my name is Dinesh. I’m from India. My last contribution as a volunteer was a blog post about l10n report (an hour ago)
  18. Hi my name is Amine Zaafouri, and I am from Tunisia My last contribution as a volunteer was helping a mozillian from Algeria about the connected devices updates
  19. Hi my name is Ioana and I am form Romania. My last contribution as a volunteer was doing QA on Mozilla Festival website

Shout outs! Know some Reps who did an amazing work! Let’s share some #mozlove to them! (

AGENDA
TOPIC 1 - Contributor Research - Rina Jensen

• A formative research study in two parts, exploring
    1. what motivates technical contributors to participate in open source projects.
    1. based on the driving motivations, what are the experiences of contributing in open source and how can it be improved.
  • We will cover motivations, connections between those motivations (personas) and the experience journey research in short, but will provide links and documentation for follow up.
  • Types
  • the independents
  • the leaders
  • the fixers
  • the citizens
  • QUESTIONS:
  • Any quick (and magic) things we should apply starting tomorrow?
  • yes, check on how we engage/ how we reconnect
  • Any AHA moments ? Something unexpected that pop up- ed in the research?
  • a lot of aha moments, I thought that open source would be a pillar on why people join and I found that there is a big diversity on motivations - Rina
  • there is a progression on how the contributors evolve, they may start as a certain type and they can change in the future - Brian
  • Are the people in the personas real mozillians/people who answered? :smiley:
  • they are not :slight_smile: we wanted to keep people’s ids secret
  • Are there lessons from other projects for integrating beginner technical contributors?
  • there are some high level recommendations, one of the key things (easy step too) is stating the benefits that people will get once joining
  • What is the value of non-technical contributors to open source or free software projects in general?
  • Projects - Beyond Mozilla community we talked to:
  • https://www.wevolver.com/
  • HackerDojo
  • Cyanogen
  • CoinDesk ( a developer who did the open source bitcoin ATM project)
  • MakeSF
  • OpenAccessButton
  • Open Data Maker
  • Open Knowledge Labs
  • send feedback to rjensen (at) mozilla.com
  • ACTIONS:
  • Have a follow up session - Experiences Review the doc and give feedback
  • HOW DOES THESE RECOMMENDATIONS APPLY TO YOUR WORK?
  • WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD YOU MAKE?
  • RELEVANT LINKS:
  • Full report
  • Shorter presentation

TOPIC 2 - Review Team Members - Konstantina Papadea

TOPIC 3 - Council updates - Michael Kohler

• New mentors -> personal development focus, onboarding will start within the next week
  • RepsNext communication - next blog post as draft, we’re gonna have an easy visual structure representation and a comparison table!
  • Pending applications -> we will freeze pending applications for now and link applicants to the focus areas (https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/defining-focus-activities/ ) for the mean time until we can handle more Reps
  • Council Chair -> ad interim Michael stays Council chair until the 18th of July, then Rara takes over
  • Reps OKR 3rd quarter -> we will start with the OKR for this quarter in about a week so we can coordinate with the Participation team

TOPIC 4 - Events - Francisco Picolini

NON-VERBAL UPDATES (