In light of the recent news about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and its spread across the world, the Reps Council has met and discussed how we can better help and protect our volunteers across the globe. Here are the main points of our discussion.
- First and foremost, we are prompting all volunteers to follow local regulations and guidance. Right now we can’t make a global decision about canceling events or funding since the virus spread varies from country to country. We are though asking you to be conscious and always follow local rules.
- We are going to fund only local meet-ups from now on. We are doing that in order to protect our volunteers and ensure that no risks are taken regarding your health and safety.
- We are not going to fund large scale events (over 200 people).
- If you want to cancel an event or postpone it because of the virus, that is absolutely ok. If you have already received resources for that event (swag, budget or both) you can keep those resources for now and use them for a future event. Just inform Francesca on the bug request.
- We are encouraging you to have virtual events as well, you can find more resources on how to accommodate that here. If you need zoom rooms ids for longer meetings, please reach out to me and I will provide one (We understand that in some countries low bandwidth doesn’t permit virtual events if you have any other ideas on how to solve that, reach out to the Reps Council).
Thanks again for everything you are doing for the community and Mozilla. We are going to closely monitor the situation and adjust our decision as events evolve.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to Reps Council or to me personally.
We will talk about this on tomorrow’s Reps call as well.
On behalf of the Reps Council and Mozilla’s Community Development team